free website stats program Oil Analysis and Warranty work | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Analysis and Warranty work

Mavagrand

Gonna have my oil analyzed at my next change. Does anyone know what the MOCO's policy is if the analysis reveals excessive engine wear? Will they go into the engine under the warranty or want me to pay? will they claim it is "normal"? Has anyone experienced this? thanx.

I expect to get a good report on the UOA. Just wondering if anyone had this issue with the MOCO. I'm sure, unless it's something MAJOR I would get the ol' "normal" comment.

Unless it blows up,or starts to use a quart of oil every 200 miles I think you will get the ''normal'' reply:tounge

Good post Smitty, and good explainations. That is ED Zackery how it works.
Whenever you send your sample, they will have a baseline for HD engines, and a baseline for whatever oil you are using. These baselines will show in PPM(parts per million) the amount of all the baseline elements in your particular sample. And, if any of these elements exceeds any of these baselines, they will flag it.
This will also set the perameters for your particular engine and will be compared against future samples.
Remember to take your sample with the oil hot, and in the manner that the testing company perscribes. Be careful because contaminates can be introduced into the sample if you don't use the approved methods of sampling.

Smitty and gs34...

Nicely done...I actually work for a Caterpillar dealer and all of what you said is correct. Oil samples will only be effective on a one time basis if there is something in the oil like gasoline, fuel, water or coolant. Oil samples are based upon trends. Even the same year and model machines can have different sample trends. I know a good way to start, and I don't know who you are planning on taking your sample to, is to bring a sample of new motor oil with you to provide the base line. This gives the basic make up of the oil (additives, etc.) that will contribute to a solid starting point. I have not had any experience with HD, but do know of many that have used this for their cages, and with a documented trend line, the OEM's can't argue the results.

Like I said, I don't know who you are taking your sample to but any Caterpillar dealer should be able to do it for about $15 per sample.

I think your best results will come from allowing the first quart of oil to drain, which will clear anything immediately around the drain plug, then capturing your sample.

If you have any questions, let me know. Maybe I can help.

Smitty...You'll like the new H series machines. Lots of nice creature comforts and good power for a smaller machine. Now your butt won't be sore before you hop on the RG for a nice evening ride!!

The weather man says that we may break 0F by Sunday!!!! 20F will feel balmy!!

I only grip is one I had with the higher end G's aslo.
They way they limit the tranmission to prevet tire slippling really cuts down on the machines power I know why the do it. Just seems the older machines had more guts.
I ran the 924H about 15 hours it sure is a nice machince for operator comfort.
-20F tomorrow i will not be riding the RG or the FB for a while wind chill will be -40

Smitty...It seems like less power but what good is power without the traction? Anyway. Glad to hear that you like it. Make sure the FABCO boys treat you right:cheers

I hope to catch up with you on the road sometime after the ice is off the lakes!!

Take care.

The oil analysis has been used for years on aircraft engines but is only valid if you do it each oil change and keep the records. In addition I always cut open the old filter on any (auto/aircraft/Harley) engine and look for metal/chips/carbon etc., if you do it each oil change you will get a feel for whats "normal" and when you see something out of the ordinary it will get your attention.

Back