free website stats program Nuvi Mounted to a Windshield Bag - Will it work? See Video! | Harley Davidson Forums

Nuvi Mounted to a Windshield Bag - Will it work? See Video!

XjetCaptain

So, I'm waiting for my RAM mount to show up in the next few days and I didn't ride today due to rain/cold and had nothing to do but think about how to mount my Nuvi 265w. As I looked at the bike, I decided that maybe I could actually mount it on the windshield bag using Velcro.

I've Velcro-ed thing before and though; why not try and see what happens. It's just a few inches of Velcro anyway.

So I cut two pieces and attached one to the back of the Nuvi with the self-adhesive backing and it's fine. The other piece need to go on the windshield bag and that has texture and it's leather etc.etc. I know the self-stick will never hold. Gorilla Glue to the rescue and I put that strip on using a little glue for extra adhesion.

After letting it all set and dry it's time for the acid test. Will it actually hold while riding? Well, see the video! If I encounter vibration like this, I have much bigger problems than to worry about the GPS

Of course actual riding will come tomorrow. I expect the RAM mounting system to be here in a few days and I'll keep it around, just in case.

Here is a link to the YouTube video and your comments are appreciated.

YouTube - Garmin Nuvi 2x5W Mouted to a Windshield Bag-Vibration Test

Timing!. Just yesterday, I also installed a Garmin Nuvi to my center ( triple) windshield bag. I had ordered a handlebar mount ( RAM) but, after looking at it and trying different places on the handlebars, I decided it was just too intrusive. I used the plastic cradle that came with the mount..I used a back up piece of metal on the inside of the bag flap and bolted the cradle to the center flap. I think I like your idea even better. ( I just made two small holes in the leather center bag so, it's no big thing.. I don't intend on using the Garmin very often so, your idea makes the most sense to me..Thanks for the tip.

So, I'm waiting for my RAM mount to show up in the next few days and I didn't ride today due to rain/cold and had nothing to do but think about how to mount my Nuvi 265w. As I looked at the bike, I decided that maybe I could actually mount it on the windshield bag using Velcro.

I've Velcro-ed thing before and though; why not try and see what happens. It's just a few inches of Velcro anyway.

So I cut two pieces and attached one to the back of the Nuvi with the self-adhesive backing and it's fine. The other piece need to go on the windshield bag and that has texture and it's leather etc.etc. I know the self-stick will never hold. Gorilla Glue to the rescue and I put that strip on using a little glue for extra adhesion.

After letting it all set and dry it's time for the acid test. Will it actually hold while riding? Well, see the video! If I encounter vibration like this, I have much bigger problems than to worry about the GPS

Of course actual riding will come tomorrow. I expect the RAM mounting system to be here in a few days and I'll keep it around, just in case.

Here is a link to the YouTube video and your comments are appreciated.

YouTube - Garmin Nuvi 2x5W Mouted to a Windshield Bag-Vibration Test

Problem with Velcro is two fold, 1) bonding to leather which is porous means you may have it sewn on as plain adhesive will turn to gum after weathering and summer heat, 2) ease of putting it on means it is easy to remove if not "supervised", hook and loop fasteners do "wear" (the nylon hooks eventually straighten/distort and the loop ends if exposed to weathering weaken and fray..."Don't ask how I know..."! :(

Wow, how would you have felt if the test failed and your Nuvi went flying across the room and crashed into the wall? :p

You really shook the life out of that thing!!!

That held up good. Thanks for posting the video, as if you just posted a sound file, we'd wonder what the heck you were doing!! :)

Ride safe and have fun.

Good question about what if it went flying!! Well, the video was shot after I tested it and would be able to catch the thing if it came off. This was not the initial test!

About Velcro letting lose! Yes, it does wear out but this is not necessarily the final solution! And easy off means it comes off easily when I leave the bike and put it in my pocket :). Nice thing is there is no tell tale that a GPS was there.

Hey Xjet.. Did you use this setup on your TOTD ride? If so, how did it work out for you?

Yes, used it the whole way. Worked out great..well almost. You can see it in one of the photos of the ride.

Two problems really; one is battery life..not a good as hoped. The other is glare! At times the angle of the GPS with the sun acts as a mirror. Most annoying!

I might have to move it below the windshield bag using the ram mount for the glare reason and then I can run a power supply to it as well.

Thanks for asking!

Ive installed my nuvi with a ram mount single hole to the center bolt on my heritage windshield.. The mount works great and the nuvi comes off quick when I leave the bike. The only problem I have is the glare. Its very hard to see on bright days. Im going to try to fabricate some kind of visor to shield the sun.

Back