free website stats program Not happy with quick release sissy bar and luggage rack | Harley Davidson Forums

Not happy with quick release sissy bar and luggage rack

C908

I finally went in and ask the Harley dealer about the irritating rattle I have when my quick detach sissy bar and luggage rack is on. They installed it on my new 2010 Wide Glide a couple of weeks ago. I was told they all do that and my response was I wish I would have been told that before the install because I probably wouldn't have purchased it.I could have bought the permanent mount style and not had the rattle for a lot less money. They worked on it and told me to see if it is any better. They also said they would order new latches and see if that would help. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.Thanks for your comments.

Yep, mine does it also. On mine the noise was coming from the stem/ latch area.
What I did was cut a strip of self adhesive mylar plastic to increase the diameter of the black plastic stem that the latch clips around. It is not the Perfect solution but it does work.

I did not put a lot of thought into the repair so there may be a better way to do it. What your trying to do is increase the diameter of the REAR black plastic stems by maybe .010".
It does make it harder to remove and install the Sissy bar but it did kill the noise.

Yep, if I had known also, I would not have gotten the detachable model.

Hoop!

I haven't noticed any noise from mine, but then again I'm also not supposed to be able to have detachable backrest on my fxdxt.

I appreciate the info. I'm looking into a backrest for my FatBob. The thing is my sit dips down and I don't see how a backrest will be able to reach in and support my back. But like you guys have said, if it's detachable, it will probably loosen up more and more each and everytime it's removed and replaced. But then again, you could go with louder pipes and then you won't hear the rattle. :) Love my low growling Krome-Werks.

I recently installed a detachable sissy bar and rack on my 2009 fxdf. I have not heard any rattle. I am very pleased with how snug it fits. The sideplates on your bike are the same as mine but the upright, rack and hardware kit are different. Are you sure the rattle is coming from where the sideplates connect to the hw kit? Could it be the rack or the upright? In my opinion it should not rattle. That just seems unacceptable. If you don't get anywhere with HD, a modification like what Hoople did should help (though I am appalled that you should have to modify it). Good luck. I love the new wide glides.

I remember owners of metrics with their Windjammer luggage and brand new Gold Wing users complaining of the same. And as Hoop did, most worked their way through it with some free wheeling ideas.

Yes it is a shame that owners have to modify things that should have been "perfect" off the assembly line...but manufacturing tolerances are just that...does not take but a few thousandths to rattle. Not that HD has not been remiss, but look over your bike, mylar is used to prevent scuffing of the seat to fender, but the weight of the passenger is still ON the fender (they did not fix the scuffing problem...30 years later) there are still kludges even today which are "traditional" not necessarily right...:small3d007:

Last edited:
The vibration is really a funny thing you have to experience. When something rattles, you usually can place your hand on it and it will stop rattling. Not the case here. This is more like a "Natural Resonance" that only "tunes in" at certain frequencies and RPM. It took me days just to find where the resonance was coming from. With of engine off, you can tap & pound on the Sissy bar and it does not rattle. But when you clamp the two rear supports with a make-shift clamp, the noise is gone.

The root of the problem is the Sissy Bar is supported by 4 RIDGED but non-bolted points. If all 4 points were perfect, there would be no rattle, but making them perfect would be a job.

It would be like having a car with 4 steel flywheels for tires in a chassis which also had no suspension (springs, control arms or shocks). Even if you were to placed the car on a perfectly flat surface, one wheel would most likely not be touching the ground with much pressure.
Now put some 12" sub woofers in this car and thump it like a Harley. At certain frequencies, that barely touching flywheel (tire) will resonate like heck.

The Mylar trick does work but I am trying to come up with a better way to fix it.

But I do Love the useless reply that C908 received from his dealer..
"They all do it". I guess that means your suppose to live with it. NOT!

Hoop!

I bought the quick release sissy bar and rack because I rarely use it. I'm mostly solo. When I do ride two up, I can't notice a rattle. You can probably sell it on e-bay for about what a fixed unit costs and then buy a fixed set up.

I want to thank everyone for their comments and while I don't wish a problem on anyone else I'm glad to hear its not just me that has experienced the problem. I'm kind of mad at myself for not thinking there might be a rattle if its not fastened down tight that only makes sense. For what I spent on it I will probably just try and figure out a way to make it better. I do like the way it looks and it is functional so that's not all bad.It would be nice if the dealer would explain before installing on customers bikes.

I appreciate the info. I'm looking into a backrest for my FatBob. The thing is my sit dips down and I don't see how a backrest will be able to reach in and support my back. But like you guys have said, if it's detachable, it will probably loosen up more and more each and everytime it's removed and replaced. But then again, you could go with louder pipes and then you won't hear the rattle. :) Love my low growling Krome-Werks.

I'm pretty sure it's a passenger backrest being discussed here.

I have the HD detachable sideplates, backrest and luggage rack. All fits snug and quiet.
I prefer to ride solo with my solo seat and no plates or backrest. When 2up my wife insists on a backrest.
Luggage rack is not pictured below.
IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

Back