free website stats program Not charging - Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Not charging - Help

time2cruise

Wife and I headed for Jackson Hole Wyoming today. About 100 miles from JH I notice my volt meter is down to 12. I turn off everything and we make it to Alpine Junction, Wyo. Volts are down to almost 11. I checked the fuses and connections. All look good. When I bought the bike 7 weeks ago he said he put a new dry cell battery in and a new stator. This us the first time in 2000 miles
it's done this. Any ideas? We have a 300 mile ride home in the morning.

check the connections at regulator .. and coming out of the case for the stator make sure battery cables are clean and tight

Often the stator and voltage regulator will go at about the same time.As Bud said check the cables closely.If the stator was done as well as the battery and the cables are in order.The voltage regulator is the next likely candidate.

Since your on the road and obviously trying to make it home with minimal/no charging 1st things first...1) pull the fuse on the headlight, since you are driving during the day, and mainly on the freeway you want to increase your travel envelop as large as possible. 2) since your bagger is probably EFI AND ECM dependent make sure you get a decent battery charger to charge overnight if possible. 3) As the others have said, find shop and replace that regulator (previous owner if he changed the stator) should have changed it as a set. 3) once regulator is in place, do voltage check and cross your fingers (this is assuming you did all the routine things like load test the battery fully charged it and checked all your heavy primary connections. 4) plan to ride in battery loss mode for only 3 or 4 hours max. (if you deep discharge a start draw only type surface charge battery, their capacity degrades and you will after a few times degrade the batteries' capacity severely. Good luck and hope the regulator change is suffficient so you do not have to go home in "crippled" battery loss mode.

Last edited:
Are you still running the bike in discharge mode? Are you going to try and make it home this way, with overnight charger and limited daytime running?

Wasnt able to get a charger last night. Can someone tell me which fuse is the headlight fuse? We are a ways away from any help, let alone diagnostic testing. Plan is to pull the headlight fuse and disconnect the tour pack lights and see how far we can make
it. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

You won't go far unless you get some charge in that battery. Been there, done that! First thing I would do is find a charger and get it up to full charge before proceeding. Spend $5.00 or so on a digital volt meter as well. It might give you some insight into whats going on. While battery is charging, sit tight and go over all connections. I believe the fuses you are looking for are under the left hand side cover and are labeled. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Even an automotive store charger for motorcycles is $19.99 or small 6V/12V dual range at 2A/6A type would be fine (a bit more $29.99 but most likely get you going more quickly as long as you do not leave it charging more than few hours at 6 to 10A charge x 250A/H means only it will charge a bit faster, tapering down to nil (equivalent of using a quick charger for cars-n-trucks). You will need a charger as a minimum because you have electronic ignition & electronic fuel injection drawing battery current...bike will go dead i.e. "flatline" without either! :(

Last edited:
Back