free website stats program Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Noise

ridin88ci

Hello all....I have a 2002 Road King with the 88ci injected motor.
It has about 45,000 miles on it and when I got it at 43,000 it made a lot of what sounds like top end noise, my brother told me to change the primary oil and check the chains (which were in spec at a little over 3/8" of play) it was WAY over full....so with the proper amount of HD primary oil it DID tone down some of the sound but there is STILL what sounds like a top end noise RPM driven.....any ideas?

It could be bad lifters. What oil are you using in the engine?

Stock engine? Push rods etc?

Do you know if the cam chain tensioners have been inspected? Could the cam chain have been replaced with a gear drive?

It had the cam tensioners replaed about 5k ago, the oil is Havoline 20w50 per what the PO told me....I am planning on changing to Valvoline 20w50.....just my long time preference. As far as I know the engine is all stock.

Is your bike an old Police bike? Reason I'm asking I had a 2000 RK cop bike and around 45k I had to have the top end redone due to piston slap.

Is your bike an old Police bike? Reason I'm asking I had a 2000 RK cop bike and around 45k I had to have the top end redone due to piston slap.

It IS a Police bike.....Gosh I hope it isnt needing a rebuild.....I've had piston slap on some of my forged piston hot rods (I've been a gear head since birth) and this is a different sound.....but I am not that versed with bikes...

Listen closley to the injectors, my 01rk makes what sounds like valve train noise.
The injectors tick like a diesel sometimes, I don't know if it's the gas or what, it comes and goes.

Even though stock,,,, I Would get a set of SE slender tapered Adjustable push rods and Install them.... Easy to do and nothing but the old stock push rod covers need to be removed then CUT out the old push-rods with a Bolt Cutter and Then, Install and Adjust the lifters using SE slender's instructions..
This MAY Quiet them down.... IF you do this and can afford to Buy New lifters?? I would go with 4 new B lifters from HD. Bet this would quiet it down..

The HD's use the one-size-fits-all in the pushrods and that is NOT the Best Way in My Book.... If never replaced, the lifters Might need it as they aren't youngsters any more:D

signed....BUBBIE

Even though stock,,,, I Would get a set of SE slender tapered Adjustable push rods and Install them.... Easy to do and nothing but the old stock push rod covers need to be removed then CUT out the old push-rods with a Bolt Cutter and Then, Install and Adjust the lifters using SE slender's instructions..
This MAY Quiet them down.... IF you do this and can afford to Buy New lifters?? I would go with 4 new B lifters from HD. Bet this would quiet it down..

The HD's use the one-size-fits-all in the pushrods and that is NOT the Best Way in My Book.... If never replaced, the lifters Might need it as they aren't youngsters any more:D

signed....BUBBIE
This is what I was thinking of doing.....it is quite at idle just at speed it makes that tapping sound like lifters.....so this is pretty easy? I know my way around an engine.....but normally they are V8's... :bigsmiley25:

Back