noise unidentified

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by springers97, Jul 8, 2008.

1. springers97

springers97 Member

hello to everyone, I'm new to the site, and would like to get some help.
    I've got what sounds like a combination of a whine and a screech in between gears, its hard to tell if it screeches in 5th cause I can barely here it in 4th with the wind in my ears. It sounds like its by the rear wheel on the left side. When I pull the clutch in, the sound stops, but as I let off and go to the next gear I hear it again, until I pull in the clutch again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Possibly a clutch problem.

You say it's in between gears but then you say when you pull the clutch in that it stops, could you define this a bit more? It seems contradictory.

3. springers97

springers97 Member

thanks for your reply, yea I know it might seem contradictory, but it is as I say, shift, accelerate with noise pull in the clutch no noise. I'm not sure why it does it, thats why I'm here, I just know when it happens, the general area, and how it stops when I pull in the clutch. Could it just be some kind of vibration from the rear axle adjuster or its cover?

4. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

does it do it in neutral when you rev the engine a little or just during acceleration. ?

5. springers97

springers97 Member

just during acceleration.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Try spraying some silicone on the rear pulley and belt.

7. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

Drive belt not adjusted right is an easy check to start with I have had the problem from time to time after changing the rear tire.