free website stats program noise from speaker with radio off | Harley Davidson Forums

noise from speaker with radio off

2000classic

Brother-in law has a 2001 EG Classic. Asked me about noise coming from left speaker. The best I can describe it is it sounded like it was picking up the sound of the fuel pump, but then I remembered carbed bike. No fuel pump. Oh yeah forgot to mention noise is there as soon as you turn on the ignition and the radio is turned off and the bike in not running!!! I commented that it was only coming from the left speaker and he said he did not think the right speaker has been working for sometime. Any thoughts on this? I'm guessing something internal in the radio. This spring he had trouble getting bike started and used a running car to jump it. Radio problems since. Did he fry something?

I would check for a pinched speaker wire. If that don't fix it I would think that the radio is defective.

This spring he had trouble getting bike started and used a running car to jump it. Radio problems since. Did he fry something?

Maybe. Sounds like something is feeding signal to the speaker. As Kemo said, check for a short to the speaker.

TQ

Maybe. Sounds like something is feeding signal to the speaker. As Kemo said, check for a short to the speaker.

TQ
I did already suggest he open up fairing and start wiggling wires with noise present and listen for change. He is OTR trucker and hard to say when he will get to it. I will update when he gets into it.

If he jumped the battery very likely that the radio is pooched. Too much amperage from a car battery, probably caused a voltage spike.

If he jumped the battery very likely that the radio is pooched. Too much amperage from a car battery, probably caused a voltage spike.
My thought also. Just spoke to him. Says using a 12v test lite, he is getting slight glow on lite when touched to the green speaker wire even with radio off. Had him disconnect main harness from radio and noise goes away. I know none of this proves anything one way or the other, but best guess is inside the radio.

My thought also. Just spoke to him. Says using a 12v test lite, he is getting slight glow on lite when touched to the green speaker wire even with radio off. Had him disconnect main harness from radio and noise goes away. I know none of this proves anything one way or the other, but best guess is inside the radio.

Yank the radio and send it along with $200 (whoa! gone up!!) to:

RadioSound - Customer Service

You get back a completely reconditioned radio no matter what they have to do to it. I have personally done this when my radio was having problems. These guys are used by many Dealerships for the same purpose.

TQ

Yank the radio and send it along with $200 (whoa! gone up!!) to:

RadioSound - Customer Service

You get back a completely reconditioned radio no matter what they have to do to it. I have personally done this when my radio was having problems. These guys are used by many Dealerships for the same purpose.

TQ
Thanks TQ. I remembered seeing that link in another post and managed to fined it. Already sent it on to him. Happy to see your input as someone who has used them and satisfied with the results. Thanks again!!

Brother-in law has a 2001 EG Classic. Asked me about noise coming from left speaker. The best I can describe it is it sounded like it was picking up the sound of the fuel pump, but then I remembered carbed bike. No fuel pump. Oh yeah forgot to mention noise is there as soon as you turn on the ignition and the radio is turned off and the bike in not running!!! I commented that it was only coming from the left speaker and he said he did not think the right speaker has been working for sometime. Any thoughts on this? I'm guessing something internal in the radio. This spring he had trouble getting bike started and used a running car to jump it. Radio problems since. Did he fry something?
Good news! Seems in getting the bike started this spring he overworked the starter relay and cooked it. He was unplugging stuff trying to locate the problem, grabbed the starter relay and the outer shell fell apart. Got it out and noise is gone. New relay and all is good!:D

Back