No voltage at ignition switch - no lights when switch is on

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Aeonje, Dec 9, 2009.

  1. Aeonje

    Aeonje New Member

    3
    0
    0
    When I turned the ignition switch to start my 95 Fatboy, the lights went on momentarily then went off and nothing works. First thing I did was clean the battery terminals and connectors. I have 13V across the battery, but no voltage being picked on any terminals of the ignition switch. Not sure where the main breaker is located to check the voltage there. If there is a short, wouldn't the lights would go on each time I turn the ignition switch, and then the breaker would trip? If the battery is bad, I would think that the breaker wouldn't trip, and I would see something at the switch. I didn't have another battery available to test with, but it seems like there is a disconnect somewhere between the battery and switch. What would you suggest? Thanks
     
  2. ron1978

    ron1978 Active Member

    390
    26
    1
    check ground wire,, next maybe a relay went bad.
     
  3. fin_676

    fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

    5,277
    133
    156
    Check the other end of the battery cables if the ground is not connected then the electrical system would be dead

    Brian
     
  4. Aeonje

    Aeonje New Member

    3
    0
    0
    Checked the ground with meter and is ok. Hooked up battery from my old Triumph and still no voltage at switch. Seems like the breaker is defective or there is a loose wire between the battery and switch. Do you know where the main breaker is located?
     
  5. Jack Klarich

    Jack Klarich Expert Member

    18,544
    153
    399
    Check the self help section under electrical and call the dealer service for location and price of a main breaker Good Luck
     
  6. Aeonje

    Aeonje New Member

    3
    0
    0
    I found the main breaker and it tested ok, so I drained and pulled off the tanks ( both sides full w/stabilizer :( ) and located the connector shown on my schematic and found that the connection pins for the main power were not conducting and the housing looked a bit singed. I cleaned them and applied conductive grease, checked for shorts, turned the power on and it seems fine. I also fixed a bad connection on my neutral switch, replaced a defective vapor hose, and fixed a sticky throttle while I was at it. Thank you all for your assistance!