free website stats program No start after tip over | Harley Davidson Forums

No start after tip over

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
My lapse of attention (is self flaming allowed?) caused my ’07 E-Glide to do a soft tip over onto the left side crash bar in the garage yesterday. Today when I went to start it, I noticed no WOW test, no diagnostic lights on speedo face. No red key light.
Headlight/driving spots/gauges and backlights/radio / neutral&oil press. light and brakelights DO work and the fuel pump primes. I have visually and ohm checked each and every fuse (including the ECM side fuses) removed and reseated each and the Maxi fuse. Switched the starter and brake relays. I disconnected and reseated the ECM, TSM/HFSM/BAS, battery and every other connection I can find. The last time bike tipped over, I had to turn the ign. Off/on several times to reset the system, this time no go. I also put a brand new battery in the fob. I feel it’s the TSM because of no red key light. I removed the TSM/HFSM turned it all directions and put it back in. The only relay I didn’t remove is the one labeled System relay on the ECM side, it is very stubborn and I didn’t want to break it. What am I missing?

Breeze, Are you saying the engine won't crank?.. What do you mean when you say "I notice no WOW test". You should never "notice" a WOW test unless you boot the speedo with the odometer trip button pushed in. (you have to invoke a WOW test)

Do the turn signals go rapid flash when you try to crank the engine? If your in "tip over" lock-out mode, the speedo would say "tip" instead of time of day.

Breeze, Are you saying the engine won't crank?.. What do you mean when you say "I notice no WOW test". You should never "notice" a WOW test unless you boot the speedo with the odometer trip button pushed in. (you have to invoke a WOW test)

Do the turn signals go rapid flash when you try to crank the engine? If your in "tip over" lock-out mode, the speedo would say "tip" instead of time of day.

Yep, I forgot, the wow has to be invoked. There is no turn signal flash at all. The red key light that normally blinks is not there, also no check engine light.When I turn the key on, all I get is the lights/instruments as posted. Odometer window is blank. There is no response from starter button at all, run switch IS in run position.

===============================================

I found it! The 15 amp battery fuse was blown. I don't know how I missed it when I ohmed it AND looked at it. I went in and started changing positions of the fuses, and the red key light came on, and engine started. Now all I have to do is tie wrap all the stuff neatly back in place. Thanks for the ideas.
Anyone gonna ask what a "soft tip over" is? :small3d002:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you perform a WOW test and get the word "none" from the TSSM. Record the part numbers that follow. You should get a part number for the speedo, TSSM & version of ECM. You don't want to see "NoRsp" form the TSSM.

At least that will tell you if the TSSM can talk to the ECM and get the security password to enable the starter relay.

=================================================

Anyone gonna ask what a "soft tip over" is? :small3d002:

Means a "no marr" tip over? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of like an "almost" crash...bike stopped, but leaned too far over to tilt back so you "gently let her go in a controlled descent...no scratches or dents". Not that any of us has done that...!

Which side did it tip over on, maybe that will tell you what pinched wire or part contacted and blew the fuse. The blown fuse is a symptom, not a cause. :(

A "soft" tip over is when I realize I made a stoopid mental error, and fought gravity all the way to the floor. No sounds except from me. It sorta squashed me. I have 2, TWO lifts, but decided not to use one for putting the footboard extenders on. Right side was a snap. I leaned the bike over to the right onto a jack stand to put the left one on. Everything went well until I snapped the jiffy stand out of my way to crank the final bolt tight. Yes,,, I really did that.:( Tightening the bolt counterbalanced the bike and y'all know the rest. :newsmile071:

The seat was off at the time, it's possible I somehow touched the pos. terminal to ground when lifting it, or working on before/after.

Last edited:
And once the bike starts going down there is no stopping it the most your body can do is slow it enough to do little or no damage
Every time that happens to me it is the wife's bike and it always goes down on the left side and the mirror always catches the edge of the workbench and i have been asked why the left side mirror always looks like new

Brian

Happens only with the wife's bike...sounds like you need to get your wife another bike LOL! :p

Back