free website stats program No Rear Tire Traction - Endless Burn Out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No Rear Tire Traction - Endless Burn Out

Fastlinnie, Confirmed the bike would accelerate from a stop in 3rd.

The bike would lay a short burn out patch from accelerating hard from 1st. I agree with the clutch spinning diagnostic. I can accelerate from 1st to 3rd fine, and the clutch will spin if I get on it hard. Also the speedo will climb from say 40+ with the clutch spinning but will putter out at around 65mph. Anything above 60-65mph and the clutch will just spin.

I got a new clutch pack on order. I will inform everyone the results of the new clutch kit.

Are you putting anything on your tires such as Armor All or something similar? Not many Sporties will do a burnout even if you drop the clutch. Using anything to make your tires shiny will likely cause the tire to spin.

-Beer

Beer - no Armor All on the tires.

Changing out the clutch plates went good, but upon reattaching the clutch cable to the primary cover I ended up stripping the clutch cable threads in the primary cover. The question is what can I do to repair the case? Can I tap the case larger and use a helicoil?

Please advise

thanks

Balduc-2

Beer - no Armor All on the tires.

Changing out the clutch plates went good, but upon reattaching the clutch cable to the primary cover I ended up stripping the clutch cable threads in the primary cover. The question is what can I do to repair the case? Can I tap the case larger and use a helicoil?

Please advise

thanks

Balduc-2

If the boss on the cover is large enough I would take it to a machine shop and have a time sert installed, much better than a heli coil Time-Sert

Last edited by a moderator:
A helicoil is worth trying as it is a wee bit cheaper than a new primary cover
Use some red Loctite on the helicoil and that should keep it in place and some lock n seal or Teflon paste on the threads of the clutch cable to help seal it all up

Brian

Final Report:

I took the primary cover off last night and drilled, tapped and placed a helicoil in the clutch cable opening. The helicoil seems to work exactly as planned and holds the cable snug and tight. I will check the tightness of the clutch cable at the cover down the road.

For all of you that mention the clutch was slipping give yourself a pat on the back.

I installed Barrnett Extra Friction Plate Kit - The bike feels awesome now, it runs great. I would also imagine my mpg will improve.

regards,

Balduc-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know that you got sorted and are back on the road again I am sure a lot of us that work a lot on bikes will have come across a stripped thread,
thread insert kits are our friends

Brian

Back