free website stats program No rear running lights on 2000 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

No rear running lights on 2000 Sportster

puppyphoenix

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

New member here looking for some help.

So my Sportster has had an issue lately and I am a little lost as to what to do.

Before the problem began my turn signals were going off intermittently. I still had running lights, head light, brights, tail light, rear brakes all worked fine. After a little bit of riding they would come back. They just wouldn't blink and not even a notice from the indicator.

Then the front light blew. I went to HD and replaced the bulb. Turned my bike back on, and now no rear running lights. Turn signals work on all four running lights and a response on the indicator. I have my headlight, my brights, tail light, and rear brake. Just no rear running lights.

I did lift up the seat to check and everything seems in order. Nothing seems to be undone and I did try swapping out the bulbs. I haven't done any work to it and I haven't spliced anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Your bike does not have rear running lights as standard but may have been fitted with an aftermarket module to use the rear turn signals as running lights if this is the case then the module will be the suspect component

Brian

Agree with Brian on this, the rear lights are turns only unless a run/turn kit was installed. If your turns signals work, everything is the way it should be.

The joys of being the 2nd owner! WOO HOO!

So, I am guessing then, that the gray box mounted to my rear fender is the TSM and it is not an OEM HD part. H-D Patenis 4972174 5057814.

So, in your experience, is this thing shot and I need to spend a small fortune on it or would some cleaning and unplugging and replugging do the trick? *crosses fingers*

Thanks for your help already and your continued help.

Those 2 patent numbers tend to point to a bulb failure warning device for turn signals
However breaking and remaking all the connections associated with the rear turn signals may give the desired results

Brian

Thanks for your continued interest in my thread Brian, your help is appreciated!

So you think if I change the rear bulbs for the turn signals (even though they're working in other sockets) one or both may be on the verge of blowing out and should be replaced?

Just cleaned the fitments and giving it some time to dry and will reconnect in a bit. I'm hoping for the best! C'mon baby! Give daddy some love! :laugh

Well i am almost at the stage of getting to the limit of my knowledge on this as here in the UK running lights are illegal so we do not get them here front or back
But just by unplugging everything and plugging it back in may just give a good connection that you are currently missing

Brian

Hey Brian,

So I tried cleaning it and plugging, re-plugging. Sadly no chance. However, the turn signals do not seem to be as temperamental as they were. Hopefully they're back for good. Did some research into the law and as long as the signals work, that should keep me fine. Otherwise I guess it is a replacement. It(EDIT) when one little thing keeps you from riding your baby.

So running lights are illegal in the UK? That surprises me. I tend to hear about how much stricter European countries are in terms of driving and safety.

Hope all is well for you on the other side of the pond.

Cheers.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn signals have to go from on to off to back on again
if there are running lights in with the turn signals they never go off and that would fail mot inspection
so the harley davidson international (HDI) models are setup differently from the domestic (DOM) models

Brian

Back