free website stats program No Power | Harley Davidson Forums

No Power

Needing some help here... I have a 2010 xl883n...Which due to some ones lack of knowledge and self control, started to cut my wiring harness that goes to my speedometer and lights. Well needless to say, after my wife reminded me that I could shoot him and if I did I would have to eat him, I forgave my young son and sat down to do damage control. I manage to fix most of the wiring mess, however when I reinstalled my harness to the speedometer, I now have no power. Everything else works but that. Guys I need help....

A proud father of a very Inquisitive young man lol.

Needing some help here... I have a 2010 xl883n...Which due to some ones lack of knowledge and self control, started to cut my wiring harness that goes to my speedometer and lights. Well needless to say, after my wife reminded me that I could shoot him and if I did I would have to eat him, I forgave my young son and sat down to do damage control. I manage to fix most of the wiring mess, however when I reinstalled my harness to the speedometer, I now have no power. Everything else works but that. Guys I need help....

Ah kids!! My first question was how did you splice wires back together and did you disconnect the neg terminal before splicing, on the battery? First check all the fuses and next check all the reconnects.

What does MOST of the wiring mess mean?

Like Don suggested, check all fuses. Many wires have power even when switch is off, and the cutter could have caused a short.

P.S. Lock your tool box until son is 35. :p

He mange to avoid the two harness wires going a. lights and b. hand controls, Surgically cut all wires to the speedometer and instrument panel. The bike starts light work, heck blinkers work.

I told my wife we are investing in medical school:)

All fuses are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Jack asked what does MOST of the wiring mess mean?
When you say you have no power do you mean to the speedo?

If everything else is working I would suspect the connections that were made to the speedo. If you own a service manual you might check to see which fuses are involved with the speedo. The mini fuses are almost impossible to check by eye, take the fuse/fuses involved with the speedo and replace with new/known good ones.

Question when looking at a 2x6 12 pin connector how would count the slots? left to right and 7 being over 1, like 12 would be over 6?

Thanks HDDON I used a meter and replaced them. I was getting ready to install a new digital Dakota speedometer on it however I want to make certain the wiring is ok before I lose that investment.

Looking at the manual what he cut was the instrument harness. Any suggestion guys???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back