free website stats program No headlight or front, right blinker | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No headlight or front, right blinker

It is the most straightforward electrical tool you'll ever use! :)

You just clamp the clip onto a ground (bolt or piece of bare metal) and use the point to touch contacts, such as the two contacts in your front running light/blinker. If there is a good circuit, the test light will light up.

Just remember, it uses vehicle power, so your bike has to be on, and whatever circuit you are testing has to be active, for instance you turnsignal need to be turned on.

You can easily get familiar with your light by testing it on a known circuit, such as your cigar lighter. It's also wise to test the light before every use on a known circuit because the lights in the tester can blow and cause a HUGE amount of frustration before you realize what's going on!

One other word of caution. The point is sharp so that you can pierce the insulation on wires. I don't reccomend you use this feature very often, as it leaves a small hole in the insulation. That does however mean that the point is sharp, and can puncture other things, such as fingertips! :newsmile105: Also, if dropped on a painted or chromed part, it is very efficient at scoring the surface, which can lead to an expanded vocabulary!:bigsmiley18:

I would recommend getting a nicer model than the one illustrated. A dependable test light is a very valuable tool in even the smallest tool chest. They are easy to use, and other than making sure the internal bulb is good, they are stone reliable and simple and effective to use.

Thanks Lew, great instructional post. I really think I can handle it after reading your lesson!

Wow, if mine looks anything like that I'll post a picture too.

Semi update for you.

Pulled out the bulb in the right front blinker and it looked sort of like Jonas' with an actual hole about 1/2 inch wide in it. That would explain the problem in that area!

I bought the circuit tester and I just have one quick question for now. Is it OK to leave the bike hooked up to the battery tender while running all these circuit tests?

Semi update for you.

Pulled out the bulb in the right front blinker and it looked sort of like Jonas' with an actual hole about 1/2 inch wide in it. That would explain the problem in that area!

I bought the circuit tester and I just have one quick question for now. Is it OK to leave the bike hooked up to the battery tender while running all these circuit tests?

Dr, It's probably OK to do it, but I would disconnect it myself. Should you accidently short you testing probe while working, you don't want the Tender to go crazy.

Not a problem there Doc. The batt tender has a fuse in the pos lead to protect it.

Speaking of Battery tenders, Sears now has one on sale for 22.00 and has a 3 year warranty Craftsman brand with all the connections:D

Dr, It's probably OK to do it, but I would disconnect it myself. Should you accidently short you testing probe while working, you don't want the Tender to go crazy.

Not a problem there Doc. The batt tender has a fuse in the pos lead to protect it.

Thanks guys. :cheers

Got so much going on in the house with an upcoming kitchen update I don't know when I'll get out to the garage again!

Back