free website stats program No damper spring seat ! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

No damper spring seat !

thanks Jack for exploded view, weird, my worshop manual doesn't show the same plates / friction discs arrangement......I gotta get the original Harley shop manual.
Jennmarr, THERE IS a misalignment between the hub and the sprocket. When I turn the hub manually, I can clearly see the sprocket move from side to side... bad bearing ?

Thanks

Colas

thanks Jack for exploded view, weird, my worshop manual doesn't show the same plates / friction discs arrangement......I gotta get the original Harley shop manual.

Jennmarr, THERE IS a misalignment between the hub and the sprocket. When I turn the hub manually, I can clearly see the sprocket move from side to side... bad bearing ?

Thanks

Colas

Sounds like the clutch hub bearing (item #20 in Jack's diagram) is bad, but that is not what I was referring to. When you get that fixed, you will still need to check the alignment of the two sprockets to each other. In other words the Compensator sprocket must be true with the Clutch hub sprocket. The procedure for verifying this alignment is in the HD service manual. In a nutshell, you install the clutch hub and the compensator without the primary chain and then lay a straight edge over the two sprockets and use a feeler gauge to check for any angular or linear misalignment.

thank you Jack for exploded views: exactly what's in my bike.
Jennmar: the clutch basket is perfectly aligned with the flywheel. The problem is when the clutch/flywheel assembly is on the transmission shaft. Turning the clutch basket manually shows clearly that the shaft is not straight. The entire assembly moves back and forth aprox. 1/16 to 1/8 ( .062 to .125 in ). For the moment, all the parts are on my bench and the season of riding is definetly out for me, it's almost 0 degree at night, in Canada.

thanks for comments

Regards

Colas

I feel like we have a failure to communicate. I do not want to nitpick, but there is no flywheel in the clutch/primary assembly. In Harley land, the flywheels are part of the crankshaft assembly. I assume that what you are calling a flywheel is part #11 in Jack's diagram. HD calls that part the Clutch Shell. The inner part of that assembly is the Clutch Hub (#10,13,14). The alignment concern that I have been referring to is the two sprockets that the primary chain run on. However, if the transmission shaft (Mainshaft) is bent, you have much bigger concerns right now. There is a possibility that the wobble is caused by debris in the splines of the Mainshaft or the Clutch Hub. Since you have the clutch assembly on the bench it would be easy to put a dial indicator on the shaft and check the runout. If the shaft checks out, clean the splines (inside and out) thoroughly and try reinstalling the clutch assembly without the primary chain. While the clutch is out, the clutch hub bearing (#20) needs to be inspected closely. Also, need to look at the Mainshaft bearing (pressed into the inner primary housing and not pictured in the diagram). Good luck with this. I hope that shaft is not bent.

It was 35 degrees here when I left for work this morning. If I did the conversion correctly that would be 2 degrees to you. Definitely appreciated the heated grips today. :)

sorry for the lack of communication, my pc was not displaying the last page of the posts.:( thanks for your answers buddies.
Actually, I have removed the primary chain, sprockets and clutch hub, cleaned everything and soak the clutch discs in transmission oil before re assembling everything ad take a ride. The feel of the clutch is much better now and the friction discs seem to grip more solid ( maybe just an impression ). Anyway, since the job is done and the bike is running fine, I won't open it again 'till next spring, if I find metal debris or dust in the oil.
What I was calling "flywheel" is the dented wheel attached to the clutch hub that the starter turns, when activated. Being a frenchman, I don't know all the english words or terms related to mechanical parts. Sorry for that.

Best regards

Colas LeGrippa:D

Back