free website stats program No Brakes... | Harley Davidson Forums

No Brakes...

Survivior

Last week while on a ride, brake light started failing when using the rear brake. problem seemed to clear after fluttering the pedal a few times. Last night I was riding (65mph on highway) as I headed for off ramp I had no rear brakes, pedal gone to bottom, I pumped enough times to get some drag and control the bike. Rear master cylinder appeared full, no visible leaks, new pads as of 2000 miles ago.. Took bike to local dealership next day. They told me the rear brake light switch had to be replaced. Since I was stranded there I had them do the $105 job. I know I have seen other posts on here about the switch but no one seemed to have brake failure.

My question is has any ever heard of complete rear brake failure from a bad switch? No I do not have ABS. Was the tech blowing smoke up my exhaust? And if this is an issue (SAFETY) does Harley know about it.
2009 EGC 21000 miles.

That is so strange to have a low pedal, with proper fluid level and it be a relative new system and seals. (only 2 years old)
The issue with the bad late model switches is electrical only and not a leaking problem.

If the peddle really did sink to the bottom of the throw, it sounds more than just a bad switch to me. Did you look good for any leakage of fluid at the switch.

I have to agree with Hoople here, if you had no visible leaks, I would have them recheck the master cylinder for by passing, if you indeed could build pressure with pumping there is something else going on here and just a matter of time before it rears its ugly head again. One quick check you can do to confirm this is next time it happens, lightly pinch off the rear brake hose apply the brake, if the pedal sinks you now only have the master cylinder in the loop, Good Luck

Back