free website stats program no brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

no brake light

lordharold

Any ideas? 1995 883 has no brake light by either front or rear brake levers tail light works. have power to rear brake switch. wires appear to be good from connector back to lamp housing. good thing have flattop so I cant pull my hair.

Have you tried a known working bulb it may just be that the brake filament has blown
also check the condition of the internals of the brake light for corrosion

Brian

yes bulb is good . both sides work. three wires only one has any power. black, blue has only power ,and red/yellow

I am thinking wrong bulb?

Just reread your post. Have you checked continuity of the wires with a DVOM?

Have you visualized the tail light harness up under the fender? They can be rubbed through by the tire if/when the tire bottoms out.

yes I have rear tire removed and up on lift. wire harness looks good from connector to tail lamp ,have continuity on wires. have power to rear pressure switch when levers are used does the switch then allow the power to travel through the switch? if so there is no power going through the switch and i replaced it but still the same. could the front switch cause power loss to both?

Power should travel through the switch when the brake is applied. Test the switch circuit after removing both wires and use a meter for continuity.

sorry gents I was chasing my tail. because rear wheel was removed rear brake had been depressed thus no pressure is being exerted thus switch was not receiving pressure in the immortal words of Homer Simpson DOOOOOOOOOOO! although front still does not work so I am guessing switch is bad at housing I have check and the housings are snug together sorry for the inconvenience! doo dit doo!

Check the switch in the front brake section, sometimes it's just the position of the switch housing that is off a bit and it doesn't contact the switch itself to operate the light. It may be necessary to loosen the switch housing a bit and move it around while trying the brakes.

Back