free website stats program night rod special runs hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

night rod special runs hot

I did wonder and hope that maybe it was the thin gauge of the header pipes, But I'm pretty relieved to hear that its not just my bike, even though its not really good to have the pipes orange, is it ?

CROCKER. Im not sure what the slipons are, I thought there was only one type of V@H widow slipon. Theres not alot of baffle in them and they are very loud, The ends are open. I did wonder why they have used the screaming eagle race pack, rather than a V@h fuel pack. Im sure that they must do one, as they supply the pipes. When I took it back to the dealer for him to check out, He said that it was on the right map for the pipes.He gave me a printed bit of paper, that has on the top. HARLEY DAVIDSON DIGITAL TECHNICIAN ll. It says/ source ECM. item/calibration ID. value/ 176ZLOO1-001 Im not to hot on all this but I am assuming that the screaming eagle racepack has a number of pre set maps, and cannot be custom mapped.Ill see what the dyno man has to say next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know much about the SE Race pak, but since V&H has a relationship with HD they might be the same unit as the fuel pak but just a guess, did you put a SE air filter in the bike and are you running topless also. you are correct on your thinking on the type of fuel managment you installed ,they are preset with little variation and a Dyno tuner will only be able to take it so far. with getting the tune better. Vrods in general take a little more to tune dont forget you are tuning to about 10,000 rpm not 6000 like a aircooled HD, they are extremly sensitive in the lower rpms they take some extra time to dial in under 3000 rpm, with the slipons you have as you described sounds as though they will be much better up 7000 rpm with a lot of torque loss in your low range. the stock mufflers do work well but are quiet and weigh a ton. obviously you dont feel the bike is running good along with the glowing issue you are experiencing , you should take a look here and educate yourself on the EFI system and get handle on how and why, there is a lot of info here to search on this subject, Hoopie a member here who has the adapt ability in breaking things down in laymen terms has wrote a lot on this subject .take a look at some of his post. The efi system is not as complicated to understand as you might think it just has a lot of variables and hardware that make up the whole unit as a running system.if you take the time to educate your self you will be much more happier in the future when adding parts on your bike ,but your heat issue stems from running to lean.(to much air) another words think of it like this ,have you ever seen some one cut steel with a torch there are 2 bottle one gas the other oxygen ,if only the gas bottle was used you would be able to heat the steel not cut thourgh it, add the oxygen bottle and adjust the rite amount of air to the equation Now you can cut through that steel like paper to sissors.thats why when the question here is often asked Do I need a tuner and someone always chimes in and say not unless you want a hole in your piston. But the first thing I would do is go back to the dealer and have them take actual head tempeture reading and see if they are in the normal range limits,then take it from there .

CROCKER. Thanks for all your advice, its been very helpfull and I will read more of the stuff on here to gain more knowledge, Im still not to sure what you mean By topless semi topless or open.Are you reffering to the Airbox. It does have the SE air filter and the top is on it. I will return to my dealer to get the head temp checked, but I know he will say that he,s already done it and it was fine.. To be honest the dealer I got the bike from is a waste of space. I can see the colour drain from his face when I walk in there.They were great when they sold me the bike, but no one wants to know when theres a problem. Remember Im in the U.K. and we dont get the kind of friendly service that you guys do in the states. Nobody ever says have a nice day over here. Ive dealt with companys in the states a couple of times before and Im always amazed by how helpfull cheerful and willing to help that they are. Ill keep you all posted on this thread of how it goes. once again thanks for all the helpfull advice.

Yes topless= running with the airbox cover removed . Semi topless= running with a airbox that has been modified (snorkle and front of airbox cut off) I would put the stock air filter back in and see if it helps ,it might help some,but not 100%. the Vrod stage 1 upgrade is not as easy to due like with the aircooled harleys lots of combinations of aftermarket parts work well with the aircooled motors when it come to the Vrods it becomes more diffucult most exhaust out there will result in performance drop or no gain at all and a host of other quirks you will find pop up, Ive found that through my own experiences with diffrent pipes and air intake configurations and tuners.in my quest I have found what works and what does not.

Been on the rolling road. Guess what? Bike was weak, worse between 2000 RPM and 5000 RPM.But weak all the way through, Fair play to the dealer though, They sent a man to the Dyno To custom map the sreaming eagle race pack. But had to put a bit in to trick the o2 censors apparantly. The bikes going alot better and its gained another horse. I have not left it idling yet to see if it glows. But Im pleased with the way she's running. I shall run it like this till the warranty ends, then I will explore a different aveue. Ive had some very helpful tips given to me through this forum and thats the way Im gonna go. Thanks to that man. He knows who he is. and to all of you. Im glad I found this forum.:)

Back