free website stats program night rod special runs hot | Harley Davidson Forums

night rod special runs hot

I bought my Nightrod special in november last year, The dealer asked if I wanted aftermarket pipes fitted, and I chose the Vance @hines widow slip ons They said for these pipes I would need the screaming eagle race pack, so this to was fitted and I assume set up accordingly. I returned home late one evening and left the bike idleing whil I opened the garage, When I returned to the bike,The header pipes were glowing orange, they were so hot that I could of lit a ciggerette from them. The bike at this time had 200 miles on the clock. I contacted the dealer and told them I think its running far to weak. They had it in, checked it over and said it was all fine, To cut a very long story short, After getting no where with the dealer, they have agreed to let me put it on a dyno to satisfy my fears that its to weak.If I let it idle for 90 seconds when its warm its glowing, you can only notice it when its turning dark outside. The bike has now done 800 miles, and to be fair the end of the pipes are pretty sooty, I know the rods run a bit warm, But glowing pipes,what do you guys think.Im going on the dyno next week so Ill let you know the outcome.

Let them check the mapping. It sounds like it is off and you may be on the rich side. Make sure they use the sniffer in the muffler to get it right.

Glowing orange right at the neck at 3000 RPM I could see. Glowing orange at idle is something else. Wish I knew what type of metal and thickness those pipes were made from. Only way I could explain it being OK was if the pipes were made from paper thin metal or you were running some exotic fuel. But I don't think that is the case here. (?)

Wonder if the pipe is dinged inside or is there an obstruction, have seen this happen with a broken valve spring tho that would be noisey

Ever idle yours at night Hoople and see them glow they sure will on the touring the rear one for sure

Possibility that it was glowing from the run to home and you just noticed it when you returned to the bike after opening the door??

yep warm it up and let it idle rear one glows nicely i posted about ti when i saw mine do it the first time ..

Back the Truck Up!

I can't believe what I am seeing. At 2500 RPM those pipes glow like a wire in a Toaster. Bright Orange,, no doubt about that. At idle (after 2 minutes) the front has calmed down but if you look close it is still orange. The Rear is a dull Orange at idle.

I would not have believed it if I did not see it with my own eyes.

With that I would like to retract my last post. If it is a dull red, I would say your ok.. at least in comparison to my pipes. (pure stock except for maps)

Bud, I stand corrected.

Yep glowing orange is not unusual, as long as the dealer you delt with took a head tempeture readings and they fall with in the normal limits your ok, a better tune will help some ,but basicly it will just extend (give you a little more time at idle before they start glowing or not glow as bright. the TC rear is notorious for this , Ive always had the idea that part of the reason for the crossover was to disapate some of the heat the TC rear puts out because its so starved for air.But would like to know on your vrod you said you have slipons and a racepack, are you running topless ,semi topless or stock.

Back