free website stats program Newbie with charging issues needs help | Harley Davidson Forums

Newbie with charging issues needs help

jonsob

Hi guys ... I have a 1984 Sport glide that I had just purchased and am having trouble with the voltage reg. I have a new battery with good voltage and I checked the stator output and it's jumping up and down to about 32 max. When running I am only getting about 12.5 volts back to the battery when reved. I bought a new reg from ebay and installed it and was getting 13+ back to the battery but when I shut it off and tried it again i only got a max of 12.5 back to the battery. Can't figure out what is going on.

On your rotor/stator, when you check voltage output where you looking for AC voltage? It produces AC voltage output. Did you check for continuity to ground & across the 2 leads? It should be 0 ohms to ground on each lead & some where around .2 -.4 ohms across the 2 leads IIRC. You should get about 15-20 V AC
per 1,000 RPMS. Check & read this
http://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/testing-the-charging-system.741/
You can find this on the Home page under Self Help & Tips.
tourbox

Welcome, on your battery installation did you put the cables back on correctly, between 1984-1992 two wires attached to the positive terminal and one to the negative. I made this mistake and it cost me this why I am asking.

On your rotor/stator, when you check voltage output where you looking for AC voltage? It produces AC voltage output. Did you check for continuity to ground & across the 2 leads? It should be 0 ohms to ground on each lead & some where around .2 -.4 ohms across the 2 leads IIRC. You should get about 15-20 V AC
per 1,000 RPMS. Check & read this
http://www.hdtimeline.com/threads/testing-the-charging-system.741/
You can find this on the Home page under Self Help & Tips.
tourbox

Thanks Tourbox ... I checked the voltage out of the plug where the voltage reg connects to the block. I was getting up to 32 volts AC. I did not check continuity but I will do that next.

Welcome, on your battery installation did you put the cables back on correctly, between 1984-1992 two wires attached to the positive terminal and one to the negative. I made this mistake and it cost me this why I am asking.

Thanks Flusher ..... I did install the battery correctly and you are right there is two wires on pos and one on neg.

I forgot to mention that with the lights off it gets up into the 13 volts range but with the lights on it only register 12.5 volts back into the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back