New Way Shifter

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by BCRoadking, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BCRoadking

BCRoadking Member

Has anybody seen or actually tried this setup , was thinkin it would be a cool addition for my Road King , got big feet with big boots and am gettin lazy so not liftin heel would be a great thing , also usin toe shifter is hard on Arthritic big toe :)

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

3. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Lew I put a kick back heel shifter on my bike,It's great. You don't lose your heel shifter and when you don't want it you kick the peg back out of the way:D

4. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

Look at Walters workshop (Walter's Workshop - Designer and Distributor of Premier Motorcycle Parts) they have a set of shifter arms that is 2.25 over standard. I wear a size 12 boot and have ample room to move around. the only downside I have seen is you need to replace the shifter arm to one with ball joints as opposed to the barrel joints in the stardard rod as you are throwing a lot more torque on the shift lever.

5. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

I don't have a huge foot but I can see myself hitting the wrong peg anyway:shock Been riding with the traditional 1 down 4 up (now it's 5 up:D) so long I don't know how long it would take me to get used to.

A friend of mine got his kid a little 80 CC dirt bike from Joe's and it shifts all down, it's real hard to get used to.

6. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Heck, I say let's go totally retro and bring back the hand shifter and clutch hand lever...just saw one on one very old Harley today by the way.:D

Seriously, interesting idea upshift toe left, downshift toe right...if you get used to it I suppose it could work, ingenuity is a good thing. :newsmile078:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

For some i guess it would work but ill pass .. as lew said i just ditched the rear shifter i didnt like it anyways

8. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

i never rode witht hat rear shifter and it messed me up i only have size 11 so it wasnt room for me just weird.. have you seen the new roller peg they are making now?

9. Ken S.

Ken S. Active Member

I actually saw this shifter on the parts counter at the HD dealer. Really well built, solid billit material, and expensive.

10. flh canuck

flh canuck Active Member

Kind of a nifty idea although I prefer the tried and true "heel toe" shifter.

I prefer the heel shifter as it doesn't scuff the toe of my cowboy boot when upshifting.