free website stats program New to Harley -- stupid question... | Harley Davidson Forums

New to Harley -- stupid question...

imaneerfan

I've been riding for years. Mostly sport bikes, sport-touring, etc. I've pretty much always done my own maintenance. Well, I'm now riding a 2010 FLHX. I do love it.

It's time for my break in fluid changes. My stupid question is: Is it possible to change the oils w/out having a lift/jackstand. If so, what do you use as a drainpan?

I've always had a paddock stand or center stands on my bikes, making the ground clearance not a problem.

I apologize in advance for such a newbie question. Thanks for your replies.

Yea, it's easy. Removing your oil filter can be messy. If you wanna keep that scoot looking good, cut up a 2 liter bottle and fashion on half of it so it will fit underneath your oil filter. Put it in place before you remove the oil filter and it will prevent the oil from draining onto your regulator and down your frame. Enjoy your ride.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, take a look in the Self Help tab near the top and you will find good tips on how to do the deed with no mess or fuss and no need to jack the bike up...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/4756-joyflyin_does_a_service.html

Oil Filter drainage tray info...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/members_tips_for_easy_maintenance/18430-oil_filter_oil_catch.html

Just take your time and think about the consumables you will need, the 100% Synthetic in the Engine, 6-Speed Gear Lube in the tranny and HD Formula Plus in the chaincase and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm going with Spectro Platinum 20W50, Spectro GI-5 6-speed, and Spectro HD Primary.

Good choices on oils.

Another "trick" when removing the filter is simply to loosen it first and then wrap a zip loc type bag around it as you unscrew it the rest of the way. The bag catches anything that may spill out. Be careful, though - the filter will be hot if you've warmed up the bike properly.

I have a really nice motorcycle jack but I find it easier to just drain the fluids out while the bike is on the jiffy stand.

I have a 5 quart plastic drain pan that just nicely slides under the left frame rail for catching the primary fluid as well.

Once the drain plugs are back in, I jack it up to make adjusting the clutch etc. a little easier on the back.

I have tried a few different tricks with the oil filter but it seems to make a mess no matter what. I have an oil cooler as well so the added lines etc. make clearance even more of an issue.

I find the best technique is to remove the oil filter quickly with the drain pan in place below, accept that it is going to make a mess, then give the front of the motor area a good spray down with brake-clean once the new filter is in place.

I always find a frosty malt beverage or two also helps make this job a little more pleasant... :D

You can minimize the mess when removing the filter by punching a hole in the end at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions and let the oil drain out into a suitable funnel or soda pop bottle that has been cut lengthwise to form a catch pan for the oil. Much easier than cleaning all the oil off the front mount and the oil isn't good for the rubber in the mount in any case.

And for the low price of $329.95, you to can own a chrome center stand. Part # 91573-09 on page 433 of your 2010 accessories catalog. Just couldn't let that go by without my $.02. Congrates on the new bike too.

Back