New Samson Street Sweepers (wierd noise)

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by joseph.a.hart, Aug 11, 2011.

1. joseph.a.hart

joseph.a.hart Member

OK, I installed some Samson Street Sweepers last night on my 05' FXDWG. First thing I messed up on was I didnt install new exhaust gaskets even though I have them (doing that tonight). At the time I didnt think it had any because when I took my stock pipes off I didnt see any. But I read through some threads and realized they are smashed in there and I need to pry them out.

So for my question...After I put the pipes on and snugged everything up I went for a test run, all good.....BUT when I got back and my bike was idling I could hear a little "tinging", I figured it was a loose heat shield, shut down checked everything, all tight. Started up, still got a ting, wrapped a towel around foward exhaust pipe ting went away, checked ehaust nuts, tight. Could it be since I have the old seals in and I didnt put the new seals in the pipe is vibrating against the aluminum cylinder?? Dont want to even start it right now because I dont want to cause any internal damage to anything.

Or am I just crazy and I am hearing things that are normal with aftermarket pipes????

Thanks !!

~Joe

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Replace the exhaust gaskets. They are "crush gaskets" which work well but work well only once.

3. joseph.a.hart

joseph.a.hart Member

Redfish, thanks for the the quick reply! Do you think that is causing noise I am hearing, the pipe not being snug enough in the cylinder due to not puting new crush gasket in?

4. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

My guess is an exhaust leak.

Install new gaskets and tighten the top nut to 9 - 18 In. Lbs. Then tighten the bottom nut to 100 - 120 In Lbs. Tighten top nut to 100-120 In. Lbs.

Repeat on the rear cyl.