free website stats program New Road King, Stage 1 and Cat Question | Harley Davidson Forums

New Road King, Stage 1 and Cat Question

danthern

Hello Gents....2015 Road King, my question has to do with Stage 1. With the Cat stopping everything up is it prudent to add a HF air filter and a tuner? I already have a set of Rush Big Louie slipons that sound pretty good after I unwrapped the baffles. A guy at rush said as long as the cats are present that you can open it up as much as you want but it can't breathe out sufficiently. He suggested true duals or a pre-2010 head pipe (or cutting the cat out). Opinions on this? Thanks in advance.

I have a 14RK and went stage 1 with SE air cleaner,V&H FP3 tuner, V&H Dresser Duals and V&H Monster Rounds. There will be many opinions on what set up is best as there are many good products out there. For me this set up works well and meets my needs.

I have a 14RK and went stage 1 with SE air cleaner,V&H FP3 tuner, V&H Dresser Duals and V&H Monster Rounds. There will be many opinions on what set up is best as there are many good products out there. For me this set up works well and meets my needs.

I think he was asking if you removed the catalytic converter? I'd like to know also, thanks for your posted information.

Bill

If you want to reach it's full potential with mods done or future mods, it's wise to remove the catalytic converter.

Get rid of the cat, it will flow better and heat will go bye bye as long as you add more fuel

There are three ways to remove the cat:

1. Find someone that can weld and remove the cat.
removing the catalytic converter street glide - Bing Videos

2. Replace the OEM head pipe with an '09 head pipe; many on Ebay. However the O2 bungs are in a different location and the O2 sensor connections may not be long enough to install in the new locations.

2. Replace the OEM head pipe with a set of V&H Power Duals using your Big Louie mufflers. The most expensive option but also the one that will actually increase performance. You also get to keep your OEM head pipe should you ever sell the bike or need to install it for inspection purposes.

Whichever way you go, replace the air filter with a high flow unit, install a fuel management system and get the motor dyno tuned. It will be a different motorcycle.

There are three ways to remove the cat:

1. Find someone that can weld and remove the cat.
removing the catalytic converter street glide - Bing Videos

2. Replace the OEM head pipe with an '09 head pipe; many on Ebay. However the O2 bungs are in a different location and the O2 sensor connections may not be long enough to install in the new locations.

2. Replace the OEM head pipe with a set of V&H Power Duals using your Big Louie mufflers. The most expensive option but also the one that will actually increase performance. You also get to keep your OEM head pipe should you ever sell the bike or need to install it for inspection purposes.

Whichever way you go, replace the air filter with a high flow unit, install a fuel management system and get the motor dyno tuned. It will be a different motorcycle.

Great info, exactly what I was looking for... thanks everyone! I know a guy who's really handy with a torch and a welder so that's an option. I'm probably leaning toward, for now anyway, getting an 09 head pipe. I've always used K&N HF filters and Dobeck tuners. If I'm remembering correctly, the O2 sensors are bypassed so cable length shouldn't be an issue, should it? I also have a set of 255's lying around but that's another thread (255's vs the "high output" features of this motor). Thanks to you guys for your knowledge and willingness to share it. Expensive, but sure is fun starting over with a blank slate! Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 11
Great info, exactly what I was looking for... thanks everyone! I know a guy who's really handy with a torch and a welder so that's an option. I'm probably leaning toward, for now anyway, getting an 09 head pipe. I've always used K&N HF filters and Dobeck tuners. If I'm remembering correctly, the O2 sensors are bypassed so cable length shouldn't be an issue, should it? I also have a set of 255's lying around but that's another thread (255's vs the "high output" features of this motor). Thanks to you guys for your knowledge and willingness to share it. Expensive, but sure is fun starting over with a blank slate! Thanks again!!

Do not substitute the 255s for the OEM HO103 cam; the HO103 cam is very similar to the 255 but an improved version. If you are looking for performance, install a performance head pipe, retain the O2 sensors, go with the Powervision or TTS Mastertune and get the bike dyno tuned. No disrespect to the Dobeck crowd but you will see at least 5-10 more TQ/HP with a better fuel management system and a proper dyno tune. More money, granted, but if you could ride one bike done one way and the another the other way, you would see the difference. Of course, cost is always a factor which has to be considered by the guy spending the money.:s

Do not substitute the 255s for the OEM HO103 cam; the HO103 cam is very similar to the 255 but an improved version. If you are looking for performance, install a performance head pipe, retain the O2 sensors, go with the Powervision or TTS Mastertune and get the bike dyno tuned. No disrespect to the Dobeck crowd but you will see at least 5-10 more TQ/HP with a better fuel management system and a proper dyno tune. More money, granted, but if you could ride one bike done one way and the another the other way, you would see the difference. Of course, cost is always a factor which has to be considered by the guy spending the money.:s

Thank you....I hear what you're saying. I've learned that you certainly get what you pay for...I hear a great sucking sound coming from my wallet...!:small3d023:

2015 Road King Stage 1 Update

Morning...I had asked for and received lots of good advice on Stage 1 and catalytic converters. I ended up obtaining an OEM de-catted head pipe on Ebay (125.00), an Arlen Ness Big Sucker filter and a Dobeck EGK Gen 3 controller. I'm very pleased with the results. Got the sound I was looking for with the Rush Big Louies and a noticeable difference in the performance. Runs much cooler as well, all without breaking the bank....We'll see how long it takes to get to Stage 2. Thanks to all for your advice!

Back