New member, new Harley owner has question.

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Taz4469, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Taz4469

Taz4469 New Member

Hi All ~

Just picked up a 2007 1200C Sportster yesterday. The thing was un-thinkably dirty. I keep my trucks & bike spotless. I cleaned it yesterday, but there are boot scuffs melted on the pipes. Any suggestions on how to get that off without scratching the crap out of the chrome ?? "Thanks for any comments" !! :D

2. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

I use some laquer thinner on a rag...usually takes it right off. Just be careful what you get that thinner on.

3. Taz4469

Taz4469 New Member

Thanks

4. slickrick2085

slickrick2085 Member

I use neverdull.

5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The company that makes the Easy Off Oven Cleaner says their product works great on cold pipes. Haven't personally tried it yet - just passing along what I heard. Have to use the one designed for cold ovens though, I think.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

I agree with the laquer thinner, also the easy off will work too, just don't get it on anything else like paint or aluminum.

7. maddog145

maddog145 Member

I agree with Doc with using the Easy-Off oven cleaner, just put several pieces of newspaper behind the pipes and "follow the directions"

8. Gravity

Gravity Member

On cold pipes use a product called "Goof Off" available at the local hardware/home improvement stores. leaves no residue.

9. Taz4469

Taz4469 New Member

Thanks all .... I tried the laquer thinner, with no luck. It is something real tough that they have on it !! ;-/

I will try one (or more) of the other ideas .. thanks again. The rest of the bike is shining like crazy now though !!!! :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  10. All Nightster

All Nightster Member

I had the same problem on my last bike and never found a way to get rid of it. Well, I was able to scrape it off a bit but that scared me because I thought I would scratch it. Maybe consider a powdercoat?