free website stats program New Guy, Old Bike. Need info please. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Guy, Old Bike. Need info please.

Best bet is to remove the carb and bolw passages out with a carb cleaner, it can be gummed up where you can't see, don't know if this is any help but here's the tuners kit instruction showing a little, it's for 2000 & later but close to the same as 94 and it has a little trouble shooting as well..
View attachment Tuners kit 2000 later.pdf

A few years back I picked up a 93 softail with the same problems and went through the same questions. If you take your time and do exactly what Glider, Chopper and the other mods say you will have a sweet running machine these guys really know there stuff.
PS welcome to the Forum

Here is a link to get you going on how to dissect the carb components and how they fit into the circuit at various throttle openings.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_ca...rb_models.html

Here is Glider's rough carb circuit chart

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
CVThrottlepositions1.gif

Here is an exploded view of the stock HD Kehein CV Carb:

wol_error.gif
cvbreakdownRPIC.jpg

Thanks again. Okay. the wires are fine. I drained the bowl about three times and that solved 90% of the sputtering so it's certain that junk in the fuel is part of, if not the whole problem. I'm gonna go ride and check the high speed jet. If it seems fine or nearly fine I will just clean out the tank and the whole fuel system. If I have POOR mid to high throttle response (bogging) I will go after the piston diaphragm and clean and check for holes or rips. I'll hold it up to the light Glider. I'll let you know what happens. Either way, she's 16 so the whole fuel system likely needs cleaning. What's this sea-foam stuff and how do I use it? Where can I buy it? Thanks guys.
Chopper and Glider, your posts have been extremely helpful.

Here is a link to get you going on how to dissect the carb components and how they fit into the circuit at various throttle openings.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_ca...rb_models.html

Here is Glider's rough carb circuit chart

wol_error.gif
CVThrottlepositions1.gif

Here is an exploded view of the stock HD Kehein CV Carb:

wol_error.gif
cvbreakdownRPIC.jpg

That chart is scary. It's just about dead on for me where I start to bog at higher throttle positions. Gonna go blow it out right now and see if was as simple as a bowl-draining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! Excellent that you have the service manual. That, an inexpensive set of general tools and a few special ones and you are on your way to the caring and feeding of your BEAST.

While you are cleaning up your fuel system, don't forget to open up the accelerator pump on the bottom of the carb and check the diaphram for splits, breaks or gunk. A good cleaning in there with your carb spray is warranted. While you have everything open, chase the ports with the spray through the little red tube they give you.

TQ

Great! Excellent that you have the service manual. That, an inexpensive set of general tools and a few special ones and you are on your way to the caring and feeding of your BEAST.

While you are cleaning up your fuel system, don't forget to open up the accelerator pump on the bottom of the carb and check the diaphram for splits, breaks or gunk. A good cleaning in there with your carb spray is warranted. While you have everything open, chase the ports with the spray through the little red tube they give you.

TQ

I'll do that. Sugarland? My younger bro lives in Katy. Beautiful area to ride as long as you head WEST! Those Houston drivers will KILL you. LOL!

So guys. I don't know if you can see the time between my last post and this one, but that time period was supposed to be a test of my high speed performance to see if the bogging was eliminated. It turned into a joy ride! The bike runs like a top now thanks to all you guys input. I think it sputtered two or three times the whole ride and no more bogging of any kind in any gear all the way to W.O.T.
Gonna gas her up and ride the rest of the evening until my knees ache and my six-o-clock is numb!
Thanks again guys.

Okay. Dumb question after looking at the link you gave me. Now that screw will be on the horn side. That indicates the interioside of the bike or the left side of the card relative to riding position. Is the screw difficult to get to or will I need to remove anything to get to it? My tools and skills are limited.
Yes the screw is on the inside and you can't get to it even if you remove your horn..You will have to remove the carb to take it out mine is the same. Some HD Engineer was being a comedian I think!

Actually I got one of those really long and narrow flat-tip screwdrivers and went in under the the horn with a flashlight. Absolutely no trouble at all.

Back