free website stats program New gauge will be here on Monday | Harley Davidson Forums

New gauge will be here on Monday

ironmark

I did it , I ordered the Dakota Digital red read out gauge set for baggers and it should be here soon . The gauges have a engine oil temp gauge and I was wondering where the sending unit should be installed on the 96" motor . I would think it would be around the oil filter but that is just my guess also I have the HD oil cooler so if the sending unit mounts at the oil filter housing would it work with the oil cooler . At first I thought it would mount were the oil pressure sending unit is located but the gauges also read the oil pressure so the oil pressure sending unit is still needed .

I'm sure Dakota has instructions for the installation of the sensor. I put mine in the hole that faces forward (horizontal) in the oil pan, close tothe drain plug. It has a flush mount allen plug from the factory. I have read of different placements on oil cooler mounted bikes, but since I don't have one, I didn't pay attention. Let us know how the install and function of the Dakota goes.

You probably have a choice of 2 locations. You can put it in the oil pan as described here:

Oil Temp Gauge Installation - Harley Davidson Community

Second option depends on whether you installed the adapter plate when you put on your oil cooler. The adapter plate was used early on for 2008 models and had mounting points for the oil cooler plumbing AND the oil temp sending unit. Then HD modified the oil temp gauge kits and put the sending unit in the oil pan.

I would go with the oil pan option myself.

I did it , I ordered the Dakota Digital red read out gauge set for baggers and it should be here soon . The gauges have a engine oil temp gauge and I was wondering where the sending unit should be installed on the 96" motor . I would think it would be around the oil filter but that is just my guess also I have the HD oil cooler so if the sending unit mounts at the oil filter housing would it work with the oil cooler . At first I thought it would mount were the oil pressure sending unit is located but the gauges also read the oil pressure so the oil pressure sending unit is still needed .

I installed the HD temp gauge on my 09 SG and the sending unit is installed in the oil pan. There is a plug there right next to the drain plug.

I did some research and the oil temp sending unit mounts in the oil pan . The oil pan would give me a more accurate reading . I would have to take a close look @ the oil cooler housing to see if the sending unit would fit there .

I did some research and the oil temp sending unit mounts in the oil pan . The oil pan would give me a more accurate reading . I would have to take a close look @ the oil cooler housing to see if the sending unit would fit there .

If it mounts in the oil pan then I wouldn't waste a minute investigating the other method!

Dr. D has you covered...installing new part in non congested location makes for easy service and less chance of damage, check it out after reading the instructions to be sure.

Back