free website stats program New From The Dusty High Plains | Harley Davidson Forums

New From The Dusty High Plains

Greetings all from eastern Colorado
!
I've been reading the forum for several months but just joined tonight.

My bride of 35 years and I use to ride tour bikes 25 years ago. The rides back in those days were Japanese metrics, starting with a KZ900, XS1000 and then finally graduating to the Goldwing Interstate. We traveled many many miles in all types of weather and loved every minute. Then life happened and we had three beautiful daughters. As it happens family time and added responsibilities took away the riding time and the freedom of taking off whenever you wanted. The Goldwing was traded for a mom-mobile and we raised the girls into fine adults.

With the youngest out of the house going on four years we found ourselves wondering what to do with all of the empty nest freedom. I suggested we think about riding again and was met with some initial apprehension. We weren't in our 30's any more and we have have nice reliable cars if we want to travel. But I still had the bug and was persistent. She agreed we would go look at bikes, but that it was just looking.

I've always had a thing for the big Harley baggers. We toured with a couple back in the 80's who road an Electra Glide. Sure, our Goldwing was smooth and reliable but it lacked the feel and soul that I desired. The Wing sounded just slightly louder than an electric golf cart while the Harley rumbled along sounding like a motorcycle. Naturally when I started thinking motors again after 25 years, my choice was to start with Harley's.

Today's tour bike world is quite different than 25 years ago with many new choices of fine large baggers on the market, but I always ended up at the Harley Davidson web site. We found a great dealer who invited us to come in and look around and maybe take a test ride. The sales staff was knowledgeable and friendly. They also had a great inventory of bikes ready to go out the door.

Wouldn't you know it, my wife got more excited then me when she saw the bikes. A deal was struck and new riding gear was bought. As of yesterday we are the proud new owners of a 2012 vivid black Ultra Classic Limited.

We've spent hours riding since and it's like we never left. I look forward to meeting a lot of you folks, and learn from the vast HD knowledge base that is found here. We couldn't be happier!

Welcome to the best site on the net for Harley questions and concerns!! Glad to have you on board! Be safe on the roads!!:wce

Welcome to The Forum and Congrats on the new bike:cheers

Back