free website stats program New clutch cable issues | Harley Davidson Forums

New clutch cable issues

Doug S

Hi,

94 FXSTC, I'm changing the exhaust and figured I'd replace my braided cable that was a little too long, at the same time. Got one from drag that is 3" shorter, when you hang them side by side from the loop, the same amount of cable extends from the housing. Should work fine..doesn't.

I need to adjust the housing almost all the way out to take up the slack in the new cable and then it bottoms out=the clutch lever does not make it all the way to the grip. Put the old one on and it works fine.

I've checked and double checked the balls, this is normally a simple job, I'm at a loss. Any Ideas??

Doug

It's the amount of cable travel that matters here. Seems like you measured right. I'm at a bit of a loss as well. If the travel is the same it should work the same.

cdn,

I saw your thread when I was searching, how did you ever make out?

It's been an hour since I started this thread and in that time I went out to the garage, re-measured both cables, checked the cover,belkrank, balls and tried both cables again. Same result...:wall

D

cdn,

I saw your thread when I was searching, how did you ever make out?

It's been an hour since I started this thread and in that time I went out to the garage, re-measured both cables, checked the cover,belkrank, balls and tried both cables again. Same result...:wall

D

I ended up going back to my stock cable for now. The travel was an inch less on the no-name stainless steel cable I purchased online. I was able to shorten the cable thus lengthening the travel all the way out on the adjuster to make it just barely work. Not good. So I went back to the stock cable until I can buy a new Stainless cable from a reputable cable maker like Barnett or HD.

Aaaaah! A moment of clarity!

When you measured the travel of the 2 cables were the adjuster both set the same? All the way out or all the way in on both. Unless the adjusters are set the same you couldn't accurately measure if you are working with the same cable travel available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had both adjusters closed when I checked them. I'm probably going to go with the original cable also or I might call a dealer and see what they want for one. I'd like to get this resolved while I have everything off, plus we are in for a week of so-so weather..

D

Back