free website stats program new cams | Harley Davidson Forums

new cams

jlbeebe

Been having trouble with my screamin eagle stage iv 103 build. On advice from others I called Bob Woods from woods cams. He said he is familiar with this build and gave a number for a cam that will light this thing up. I told him I'm from Iowa and he recomended an indy builder that turned out to be about 20 miles from me. I didn't even know he was there. He is going to put the new cams in on Monday. Hope this works.

I don't know about changing cams but I do believe the throttle body that comes with the 103 stage 4 is too big. I'm sure it works great for top end but I think it doesn't have enough velocity due to the size for bottom and midrange torque. JMO

smitty,

I think you are spot on with the list of parts jlbeebe has installed except for the Super Tuner. Unless he has recently changed it, he is indeed running a PCV and has been wondering if it is the cause of his running issues.

Unless you can change the timing and advance curves with a PCV I don't think it'll ever run right. I don't see how you can make those big of changes from stock and NOT change the timing to acomodate.
J.M.T.C.W.

Biggest problem is se260 cams. I found that at 95mph in 5th gear this thing really breathes great. Crack the throttle and it pulls like a horse. I just don't ride much at this speed or rpm. I'm thinking this tw400-6 cam will give me the power and torque at lower rpm where I will use it. I hope. I also feel that the throttle body is probably too big to give good response but I can live with this for now. I bought the bike with a stage iv kit already in it not knowing this is pretty much a rev and dump kinda thing. Now I just to want it to have some manners at low rpms.

Biggest problem is se260 cams. I found that at 95mph in 5th gear this thing really breathes great. Crack the throttle and it pulls like a horse. I just don't ride much at this speed or rpm. I'm thinking this tw400-6 cam will give me the power and torque at lower rpm where I will use it. I hope. I also feel that the throttle body is probably too big to give good response but I can live with this for now. I bought the bike with a stage iv kit already in it not knowing this is pretty much a rev and dump kinda thing. Now I just to want it to have some manners at low rpms.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JMO: This seems to be a problem with many who want to build a BIG motor...... (not you) Then find out it is Too Big, set up for the High RPM and not as responsive as wanted at low RPM..

Now for Your Buying the bike with stage 1V, I would think you are right on track to DE-cam it and what ever it takes to Make it smaller sized to get the Low End power you want.. You will have a Beast!

I agree on downsize of the fuel venture is needed, the cams are the first and main things to get re-done.... just that would make you a monster at lower RPM..

Old Thinking :
The bigger the better so they Put in the Big Cams and High compression pistons without regard to the Lower RPM torque values... and it ends up to Only produce power Later and at a very High RPM...

I have been there and done that....

The best power at low RPM, I have had, was In NOT going with Big cams in a motor, using Low com'n cams with a little more lift-duration than the stock ones. going with bigger bore and a little higher compression with a good ignition curve.....TFI

Hang on off the line!

signed....BUBBIE

If this does not give me what I want we are going to take off those big heads and throttlebody. My indy is going to work up a set of stock heads and put a stock throttle body back on. He is telling me to see how I like it with the new cams before we start messing with the heads.

Just got my bike back. It's actually enjoyable to ride around town. I'm not constantly shifting. Much better low end power. Indy says it's running very rich so I will need to go get it tuned. This is much better than it was.:D

Back