free website stats program New Cam Ideas? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Cam Ideas?

jbabk

Contributor
:bigsmiley28:I want to power up my 07 Roadking a bit so I am going to put a cam in it. I am looking for suggestions. The bike now has Vance & Hines true duals with Vance and Hines slip-on mufflers along with a Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. I also have a Techclusion TFI. Any ideas? I am expecting to do this work myself but I admit I am not a certified mechanic, so I don't want too much technical info that I won't understand. I also would like any suggestions as to where I might purchase these items?

Joe B:small3d011:

You might want to take a look at the SE 255. From what I am reading, they will increase peak HP at about 5k, producing best power between 2500-4500. This is right where most of us ride.
These are the standard cam in the CVO bikes, and are redialy available.
If you are just looking to improve rideability, and don't want to get into any additional engine work, these seem to fill the bill.
There's been a considerable amount written on this, and discussed at great lengths.
Everyone who has made the install has nothing but good things to say following the change.
Do a google search, and see what you come up with.

TQ - Thanks for the response.

Joe

gs34 - I also thank you for your response. I am planning to have the jugs bored out also.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Went with an Andrews 26N cam when I did the roller chain conversion on my '99 Ultra. Like you, I have a TFI, Big Sucker air cleaner and V&H slip ons. The 26N comes on at about 1800 and is done by 4000. Very pleased with the performance results. Didn't effect fuel economy much at all.

Went with an Andrews 26N cam when I did the roller chain conversion on my '99 Ultra. Like you, I have a TFI, Big Sucker air cleaner and V&H slip ons. The 26N comes on at about 1800 and is done by 4000. Very pleased with the performance results. Didn't effect fuel economy much at all.

NOW that is where I want to be.....

I have the exhaust, air, DOBECK GFI on my 2009 FLHR, next MAYBE cams

DID the 26N give a lot of FEEL of the TORQUE right off at the get-go??
like the RPM'S say...and was the "off the low end" BETTER than the stock cams offered @ same RPM'S?

I would like that type of cam and probably can get a simular grind to fit my NEW bike....: no head work or piston n compression changes.... JUST bolt it in type action... MILD IS GOOD!

maybe a little more on how YOU liked the cam change...

THANKS

signed....BUBBIE

A bunch of guys have done the 26N grind cams with the roller chain conversions, and others (like me) have done the 21N grind. Either will probably give you what you are looking for, with the 26N taking the improvements up further in the rpms than the 21N. Andrews info says:

21N:
Bolt-in cam: More torque for all around riding with heavy bikes, stock compression ratios and stock pistons. Similar to #23 cam for EV80. (1700-4800 RPM).

26N:
Bolt-in cam 88-95 inches and stock compression ratio. Great for two up touring, this cam will add torque and HP at lower and middle RPM ranges. (1800-5200 RPM).

TQ

Back