free website stats program new bike | Harley Davidson Forums

new bike

marknett

I have 550 miles on the switchback (2012) and was wondering about first oil change . I'm planning on waiting for the 1000 mile mark and doing the service myself .. I just can;t see paying the dealership that much money for an oil change . . I have been reading in the oil sections and opinions are all over the place . So here is my question. Is 1000 miles too early to go synthetic ?
I am looking at going with mobil 1 20-50 motorcycle because of availability . I see some are putting it all 3 holes .. Is this a good idea? If not , possibly putting in the oil and primary and ???? for trans . Help me out here guys , cause I am shellshocked with all the options

I'm sure Tank knows more about this than I do, since he works with this stuff for a living, but in my bike just last week at the 1K service, I put Mobil1 V-Twin 20W-50 full synthetic in the motor, HD Formula+ in the primary, and I would have used Spectro GL-5 in the tranny, but can't find it locally anymore, so I used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. I'm just not that crazy about putting motor oil in the tranny, although many do. HD recommends Syn3 in all 3 holes, but if you talk to a tech, (off the record), they don't do that in their own bikes, so why do it in yours???

Not to minimize the knowledge or the respect that an HD Tech should be given but they aren't lubricant engineers (nor am I). I do talk with them (the lubricant engineers) and they are good at what they do.

And not to minimize what engineers do, but in my field it seems engineers do all their testing in labs and controlled environments. Not the same as in everyday use out in the field. In the real world, things are not perfectly square, level, and plumb, as they are in their CAD drawings. Temperatures in the labs are controlled, but there is no controlling the outside temps or weather conditions in the real world. Same with settling and shifting of the ground. Now I'm not comparing architectural metals and doors to motor oils, but if the engineers are not getting out in the field, and seeing and testing their products in use in real world applications, then they are missing out on important data. I'm sure these engineers are much more educated than I am, but since I've been using their products in the field for 30+ years, I feel I'm qualified to make recommendations or give my thoughts on their materials. Only problem is the engineers really don't want to hear it. I think it's an ego thing. They want to take credit for any improvements on existing products. I don't want any credit, just want a better product to pass on to my clients. I've made simple recommendations as to how they can improve a few little things, and some of the people I've talked to have said that's a great idea, but many years later, nothing has been done about it. Ok, we now return you to your regularly scheduled oil change intervals :D

One other theory to consider as well as to why HD recommends same in all 3 holes is...meeting minimum requirements standards. Basically, what do they need to use at thier dealership shops to meet Harly's (and thier lawyers) requirments...I agree that putting the same lube in all three holes is a way to meet thier standards as well as save some bucks, but again, they are giving us the minimum standards to meet thier factory guidelines on servicing the bike. I trust Tank 100% on his knowledge of oils/lubes/synthetics. It will always come down to personal choice on what gives you the rider CONFIDENCE that you are doing what is necessary to protect your gears, primary and motor. Enjoy the Holidays!!

I agree on being confident that you are doing everything you can to protect your investment .. A lot of money at stake

FWIW, I changed oil @ 100 miles...shortly after the MotoTune new engine break-in. Swapped HD for M1 20W/50 synth...it's never too soon...

I'm sure Tank knows more about this than I do, since he works with this stuff for a living, but in my bike just last week at the 1K service, I put Mobil1 V-Twin 20W-50 full synthetic in the motor, HD Formula+ in the primary, and I would have used Spectro GL-5 in the tranny, but can't find it locally anymore, so I used Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil. I'm just not that crazy about putting motor oil in the tranny, although many do. HD recommends Syn3 in all 3 holes, but if you talk to a tech, (off the record), they don't do that in their own bikes, so why do it in yours???

You made excellent choices.

Yes, you CAN run motor oil in all 3. But why when there are better choices that increase margin in case of problems.

Those problems may be rare, but gear lube in a tranny is a better choice to allow for the odd rub to not be a further issue.

As for the primary. Same deal, but, to me, more critical because of the compensator ramps. Those need some help that motor oil cannot provide.

Not trying to step on toes here. But my business is all about margin and I work hard to maintain that margin.

I think I'm gonna go with a high quality setup ... Moibil1 vtwin in the motor
Mobil 20-50 non-synthectic in the primary or maybe formula+, and redline in the tranny .. I think from all the research this will be a great setup

Back