free website stats program New and learning about Harley's | Harley Davidson Forums

New and learning about Harley's

Dan_Ervin

I've a 103 inch engine on my 2011 Electra glide ultra limited that is factory stock with 2500 of my own miles on it. I never ride alone as my wife is always with me and the other day I needed to get around a slow moving vehicle with not much straight stretch between curves and the same for many miles to come. I could've used some extra oomph from my bike that day and find this feeling happening allot around here.

I'm already considering upgrades but do not know much about Harley's. My first rides were Honda's. One '07 Sabre 1100, one 600, one Rebel 450.

As a little boy, my uncles all rode bikes in large groups and my earliest memory was looking through the bars of my crib out the window as they lined up in rows out in the field with clouds of dust and thundering rumbles that vibrated the whole room as I watched in awe.

Throughout my whole life, those Harley's have grabbed my attention from any hearing distance no matter what I'm doing and they've made me look every time and I tell ya, I just can't help it.

So now I have me a Harley.. but my stock sound is more like an ol' 67 Volkswagen Beetle.. though those also turn my head, it just isn't quite yet what I was after in getting my a Harley. I want to have that sound on my bike that turned my head all these years. I've waited 48 years as I'm now 50 years old. I learned from my Honda's (that I tried to make sound like Harley's but they just don't have that capability in my opinion as they are different motors all together) that you can buy a whole bunch of stuff and never get what you wanted in the first place.

So for the sake of not spending a bunch of money on trial & error purchases in order to find that perfect combo that does the trick. I'm searching the Internet for information and stories from the experienced ones, what upgrades make a Harley have that head turning sound, gives it more torque & horsepower yet does not change too awful much it's appearance.

I like my two pipes on either side better than one on one side. It's not true-dual but it does have good stock performance. I don't want to loose horses & torque at all.

I do want to only buy an intake once and be happy with it.
I want to buy a tuner and have it usable no matter the future upgrades.
I want the best bang for the buck in an exhaust manifold and muffler/tailpipe mix or match for a 103 in.

So far, I've an interest in the Vance&Hines Power Duals with the new Vance&Hines Turn Down Pipes. I am looking for good options to match this set with a tuner of some sort like a race tuner maybe, but I'm not familiar with the intake/air-filter combos that might work best for the above mentioned items. I'm in for an education of sorts I'm sure.. and I welcome any constructive feedback or ideas and opinions on any of the mentioned items.

I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to reading as much as I can as fast as I can as I am looking to get my upgrades before March of 2012

:wce Check out the Dobeck site, and the self help section. Can't find exactly what you want? Ask away!!!
Ride Safe!!!
wilks3
:USA

Hey Dan - welcome from Woodstock, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta!

:cheers

Be sure to take a few minutes to read through this and your stay here will be long and pleasant!

HD Talking Rules - Harley Davidson Community

Also, this section is for introducing yourself and saying hi. Post your specific questions in the appropriate section of the forum and you'll get LOTS of helpful replies!

................................................................................................................

Back