free website stats program Need some tips and tricks.... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need some tips and tricks....

Drill the holes for the internal wiring wide enough. WIDE enough..

It's a mess to find out half way through your mounting operation that they just won't fit..

Also, when you drill the holes, don't drill perpendicular to the tubing, but at an angle so the hole follows the direction of the cable passing though, then thoroughly deburr until you have butter smooth edges.

Your cables will thank you for it in the long run.

Take care and good luck!

Thanks for the video AND the extra tips.....I have about 50 more miles of gas to burn up out of the tank before I try this.....I will take some pics and post them in a seperate thread.

No need to run that gas down if you have an empty gas container. You can always use it for the lawn mower (or snow blower). Here's a video of how to easily get the gas out of your tank. It's for a Dyna where the bibbs face each other, but maybe the bibbs on your bike are faced so it will also work on yours.

Dyna Tank Removal.wmv - YouTube

O yeah by the way......... I always use some liquid dish soap to lube everything up real good before you try to pull the wires through the bars, a little messy but you would not believe how much easier the wires pull.....

O yeah by the way......... I always use some liquid dish soap to lube everything up real good before you try to pull the wires through the bars, a little messy but you would not believe how much easier the wires pull.....

Good point, I have some electrical slickum but soap (or wax) works too. I use masking tape to wrap my wires to the string. It holds good but leaves no black sticky mess like electrical tape when you remove it. With apes you should be able to pull all the wires in at once. Tbars are hard to get past the 90* angle so I only pulled 4 in at a time.

Also if you have bars that step up from 1" to 1.25", don't put your clutch side sleeve on until you mount the clutch bracket since most times it butts to the step up, otherwise you might get the sleeve to far on. Be carefull when you remove your throttle assembly, those little brass ferrels on the cables love to get lost. Don't forget to stick a shim in your brake lever to protect the switch. Just follow the manual on that. I am assuming you do have a repair manual. If not get one. You don't want to be doing stuff like this without it.

Back