free website stats program Need help. | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help.

greg5003

Hi, just bought a 91 Tour Glide.Got it 4 hours from home so I was looking forward to the ride home.I was about 70 miles into the ride and tried my cruise control. Was working great untill all my electrical, radio and gauges quit working. No turn signals, but the headlight and tail light kept working. No brake lights.So I thought it must have something to do with the cruise control. But later on everything started to work again. So I was thinking a loose wire. So just as I get home same thing again. I pulled into the drive way and park the bike and come out much later and start the bike and everything is working again. I just don't have a clue. I like to work on my own bikes but this thing is driving me crazy.Any starting point would be appreciated. Was going to post photo of bike but I guess I don't have enough post yet. Some day.Thanks Greg

Attachments

• Road king ------Roadglide 002.jpg
    Road king ------Roadglide 002.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 27
First thing I would check is the battery connections to see if they are tight. After that go over the fuses and connections to see if you can locate something loose.

always start with the easy stuff first..... more often than not its a loose or dirty ground..... then check pos batt connection, then on up the line..... start the bike and touch and wiggle everything you can get your mitts on.... chances are you find it sooner than latter.

Thanks to all appreciate all the input...I bought the bike from an older lady that got it for her Husband before he passed away.

Check battery cable to starter for corrosion and proper routing, It runs close to rear exhaust pipe, pay attention to connection at starter, make sure it is clean and tight, just like on a car it feeds all power from the battery through the solenoid:s

Thanks to all appreciate all the input...I bought the bike from an older lady that got it for her Husband before he passed away.
When did her husband pass away? Could it sitting for 15Yrs? You probably got a great deal on a nice scoot but remove and clean all possible connections within reason but be prepared for spooky stuff.

When did her husband pass away? Could it sitting for 15Yrs? You probably got a great deal on a nice scoot but remove and clean all possible connections within reason but be prepared for spooky stuff.

SirDimsdale has a good point. If the the bike has been sitting for a long time, it might be time to change the battery, the battery cables or even the main circuit breaker / fuse.

I would bet it is in a circuit breaker that is inside the fairing. I have a buddy that has the same problem at times. We are waiting for winter to get in there and check it out.

always start with the easy stuff first..... more often than not its a loose or dirty ground..... then check pos batt connection, then on up the line..... start the bike and touch and wiggle everything you can get your mitts on.... chances are you find it sooner than latter.

my bet is grounding problem. we went though a 89 that had been sitting for a while, after buddy road it for a day we had a similar problem. turned out we redid the grounding and no electrical problems since..

Back