free website stats program Need help with nostalgic tach# p/n69776-06 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need help with nostalgic tach# p/n69776-06

I recently purchased a nostalgic tachometer for my 05 deluxe only to realize it was an 08 model..does anyone know if this tach is compatible with my 05 deluxe, with or without an electrical adapter of some sorts? Thanks to all who respond and ride safe everyone.

I know that HD changed several things with the ECM (engine control module) system with the introduction of the 96 cu. in engine in 2007. The function of the tach may work, but the connections may be different. Sorry that I can't be more help.

Thank you for your response. I have both harley softail manuals and none mention tach wiring...anyone else have any input on this?

If your bike is not EFI- I’d be surprised if it works.
I think I’d be surprised if it worked in any case.
I do VAGUELY recall somebody offered wiring ‘kits’ to allow instrumentation to ‘make fit’ on different bikes- but that was years ago and it’s only a memory.
I changed the speedo on my ‘08 Deluxe to a combination speedo/tacho unit and it was a very specific fit.
I can’t even find that part number( 69776-06) in my ‘08 “P. and A” catalogue. Actually, I can’t find it anywhere.But the”06” on the end suggests it’s for an 06 bike.-when the part came out.
Can you take the tach and your bike to a Dealer ( and I HATE saying that) and see if they can offer you some assistance.
If you’ve purchased a combo unit- and you can get it to fit- you’ll need to see a Dealer anyway to have the mileage reinstated.

If your bike is not EFI- I’d be surprised if it works.
I think I’d be surprised if it worked in any case.
I do VAGUELY recall somebody offered wiring ‘kits’ to allow instrumentation to ‘make fit’ on different bikes- but that was years ago and it’s only a memory.
I changed the speedo on my ‘08 Deluxe to a combination speedo/tacho unit and it was a very specific fit.
I can’t even find that part number( 69776-06) in my ‘08 “P. and A” catalogue. Actually, I can’t find it anywhere.But the”06” on the end suggests it’s for an 06 bike.-when the part came out.
Can you take the tach and your bike to a Dealer ( and I HATE saying that) and see if they can offer you some assistance.
If you’ve purchased a combo unit- and you can get it to fit- you’ll need to see a Dealer anyway to have the mileage reinstated.
Biscuit, it is carb and ill be surprised if it works myself... as for the dealership, here in park city I asked if they could tune my bike since I just rebuilt my cv carburetor and replaced my ignition module to a dynamic tc 88 version 3 and put in a set of woods two cams...their response was "we've never tuned a carbureted with aftermarket ignition"....needless to say I took my bike elsewhere...but back to my tach, they couldn't tell me anything about my tech other then it was obsolete... I wanted the new speedometer/tach harley sells but the mechanic told me I'd have to go back to a stock ignition module so looks like I'm stuck without a tach till I figure something out..

How many wires does this tach have?
Power ground and RPM signal are whats needed for a tach to work.
I've always liked it when the dealer boys tell me you can't do that. Because most of the time you need to be more than a parts changer like those guys hidden behind closed doors.

There are no wires, just wire post..positive, negative and signal.

Attachments

• 16889424943576068227338532631862.jpg
    16889424943576068227338532631862.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 16889425909758643986980653243881.jpg
    16889425909758643986980653243881.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
+ = pos
S = signal
And bottom right looks like a " - "
But it's hard to tell, kind of blury, picture taken with an IPhone?
Next is to get a wire schematic for your bike, facebook has repair and electrical manuals in pdf form you can download and in engine performance look for RPM / ignition signal.
Keyed power,
And good ground location.

Pic taken with a note 9 actually..I have all 3 harley manuals and the schematic doesn't show a tech if it wasn't factory installed...the tach is a harley part taken of of an 08 softail... some say there's a pink wire to the speedometer from the factory ignition module...however due to me currently working out of state at the moment I'm unable to look at the speedometer and I've installed a dynamic tc88 module..as soon as I get a chance I'm gonna contact dynatec and ask if that unit has a tach signal output..

Back