free website stats program need help troubleshooting | Harley Davidson Forums

need help troubleshooting

hello all,
newbie here and this is my first oil and primary change out and only got as far as oil change. I did eveything by the book and this is the problem i have right now. i have a 07 XL 1200L EFI sportster. the problem started after i did an oil change.i fired the bike up twice afterwards and it ran fine oil light went off, everything was good. I let the bike sit while i got ready to change the primary fluid and went back out to fire it up to warm it up again, and it would not start. it turn over twice and then clicked about 3 times and that was it. i now have no power at all to the bike no lights or nothing. I thought I might have left the key on while getting ready for the primary change. So I put the battery tender on it last night, charging overnight, this morning - still dead. The only thing that lights up is the accessory lights, when I turn the key to start, everything goes dead. Before all this happened, bike ran fine. I ride it everyday to work, no signs of problems. I did switch the seat out to 2 up yesterday before I started the maintenance. I drove it for about 40 miles, no problems. Started fine, ran fine....I'm just baffled how could this happen after a oil change?

any ideas?

thks

Changing the oil probably didn't cause the problem. Changing the seat may have. Pull the seat and carefully check for pinched or broken wires around the battery or loose connections at the battery. Check for operation of starter, etc. when the seat is off. Wiggle everything you see.

Last edited:
Remove and clean both battery terminals and cable ends. Neg off first and on last.

You have a poor connection on the battery.

Also, check your battery charge (should be ~12.6V w/meter)...if it's the original one - might be ready for change.

If your convinced the battery is good and has good connections then check the relays in the fuse block. It's a good idea to use conductive grease on their terminals. That's what it sounds like to me.

I believe you mean NON conductive grease.:s

Sorry DynaMight, didn't see your post. I guess I need to get some Di-Electric grease. Where do I get that from? Do I put this on the fuse prongs and reinsert into the terminals? Or do I just put in on the terminal? Which is the best way to do it?

Thanks!

Sorry DynaMight, didn't see your post. I guess I need to get some Di-Electric grease. Where do I get that from? Do I put this on the fuse prongs and reinsert into the terminals? Or do I just put in on the terminal? Which is the best way to do it?

Thanks!

Napa Silglyde part number 765-1351:s

looks like everything is back to running good! man I got alot to learn.:bigsmiley21:
thks for everyones help, and thks for the part# Jack.

Back