free website stats program Need Help On Deluxe Handlebar Change | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Help On Deluxe Handlebar Change

Ride4Two

Well, its time to change the stock bars out on my 08 deluxe. I am looking to go with the low look. I am 5'8", so I don't have a huge reach. I have read I don't how many threads on all kinds of forums, but I have yet to get a good answer on a fairly simple change over. I like the chubby 503's with a very low riser. I guess my real question is: what low bars will work with my standard cables? I don't mind putting lower risers on. Changing all the cables and extending electrical wiring is quite expensive for me at this point in time. I prefer to do things myself if at all possible. I learn more about the bike and get a better sense of accomplishment. If anyone can give me some good pointers, I would really appeciate it. I realize their are many manufacturers out there. I was hoping someone on this forum has done what I am looking to do to their deluxe. Thanks for all the help. Always much appreciated.

Well, I have not done this change, but I'm looking at doing it in the near future. I think IMO you will have to change cables when you change bars. The stock cables are measured for your stock bars and if you change the bars the measurements will be different. Even if the stock ones are just a tiny bit to long they will look cluttered and if they are to short, well they won't work. When I change mine I'm hoping to hide mine in the bars. I hope this helps you. Good luck. :cheers

Ive found cutting mechanics wire to match my cable /wireing length to work well for determining what will/wont work for me when changing bars.

Cut the mechanics wire to match what you have and tape it to the existing.You then get creative at the top as far as pull back/rise.The wire will tell the tale.

After checking around, I am going to go with the "1.25 Burly Bikini Beach Bars". I watched a buddy of mine perform the change out on his 07 deluxe. NO cables or wiring had to be changed. He did have to remove the tank and take a little slack out of the factory wiring harness, which is present to work with. He used (I think) 1" or 1-1/2" risers. It does take some time, but it does work without any binding issues. You will have to work with the brake cable a bit, but its not the end of the world. These bars look great on the bike and give it the nice low 50's look. I will probably go with stainless braided cables in the future,but for now I know this will work. I will take some pics of the change out to help anyone else out that may want to go this route.

The folks at Chubby's are very helpful. I have spoke with them before and they will most certainly answer your question. Give em a call.
Keep those heritage bars for us Road King guy's. They are very nice on a RK and you would be able to get rid of them no problem.

Good luck and show us pics when done.

Bodeen

Hobbit, I understand your point exactly as I can see that you would have to change alot of thing on your bike to have those apes on it. But, for me (as you indicated), sticking with 1"-2" rise will work in my situation. I have a J&P cycles right down the road from me, so getting what I need won't be a problem. The people there know me and will let me mock up anything in the store right outside in the parking lot. While I am performing the install, if I see something that looks like it may be a potential problem, I will change it out. I just put the V&H BSS on the bike and would hate to have to take them back off for a clutch cable change. If it is not necessary, I won't. But if worse comes to worse, I will. I just saw an 09 deluxe like mine at a local hangout an the guy had exactly the same bars I want to put on. He was from michigan and he told me that all will work with my situation, but putting the stainless steel braided lines on eventually would definately inhance the look.

Bodeen: I'll keep you road king guys in mind once I finish the change out.

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Back