free website stats program Need Bike Recommendation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Need Bike Recommendation

I agree!

You can learn to handle it. I hadn't been on a bike for 30 years and I was able to handle my Ultra fine. You should be able to handle a Deluxe with it's low center of gravity. My wife sat on a Sporty and a Deluxe and she felt much more comfortable on the Deluxe. The Sporty has a higher center of gravity and she didn't like the way it felt.

I agree!

I Rode a Sporty before buying my Road King...I believe the Road King was much easier to handle than the Sporty...The Sporty seems top heavy are something...just for me very uncomfortable...so you need to ride a few different models ....Just give the Soft Tail Deluxe a shot...The ladies I know that have switched to them say they are a very comfortable ride....very very low center of gravity....Good Luck to ya young lady....be sure and let us know what you decide...

Good Morning Everyone. Just Wanted To Take A Minute Before I Started Getting Ready For Work To Thank Everyone For Their Input. I'll Let You Know What Happens With The Getting Licensed And What Bike I End Up With. Thanks Again And Have Good Day.

I had been out of riding for many years and prior to buying my ultra I bought a used 800 vulcan from my son in law for $3000 I put 12k on it had time to sharpen my riding skills and if I dropped the bike (I did once, low speed u turn with the mrs on the back) no great loss. anyway I got $2000 for a trade in and left on my first brand new bike very comfortable and confident on riding off the lot you may want to try getting a used bike instead of a new bike at first cause it sure would be a shame to scruff your new hd on a simple relearning mistake

Lady Heritage, go down to your local HD dealer and try some on for size. You'll find something that fits and then do some test rides. You will know if the bike overwhelms you (none of us have anything more than a wild hunch based on our own experiences). One of my riding partners is a woman about your size and she handles a FLSTN like a pro so I'm not about to second guess your abilities.

I agree,I taught my wife how to ride on a 79 ironhead sporty.And yes my kicking leg is still sore.We come across a good deal on a 1100 vstar,nice bike.Second trip to sturgis she fell in love with a heritage and that was it.Good luck and take your time don't rush out and by a bike just to own one.

Hi Everyone Sorry I Haven't Been On For Awhile . We Just Got Home From Our Church Group Ride. We Rode To Neoga And Stopped At The Park For Our Bible Study And Mini Group Meetin Then Rode To Mattoon For Our Ice Cream, Although Some Also Got Supper. It Was A Little Cool Coming Home But All In All Nice Day/evening For A Ride.
Anyway Just Wanted To Let Everyone Know That I Took My Written Test Yesterday. They Said There Would Be 15 Questions 3 Was Passing And 4 Was Failing. It Went To Twelve And Shut Off. I Managed To Get All 12 Correct. I'm Now Legal To Ride With Others Around In The Daylight. I'm Accepted Into A Saftey Course In July 11th,12th And 13th.
I Sat On A Heritage Softail Custom And A 1200 Xl Sportster Yesterday At Our Dealer (legacy Harley Davidson) And Since We Have A Heritage Softail Classic I Know What It Is Like. The Sportster Is Defintely To Top Heavy. I Liked The Feel Of The Custom And The Classic Both. I Think The Classic Lowered And With A Different Seat Than What We Have Now Would Be Fine And If We Do That It Will Still Work For My Husband (jd140400) As Well Since His Legs Are Short Like Mine.
Just Wanted To Share The News About Being Legal Talk To Everyone Later.
Glider, I Hope This Is In The Right Spot I'm Still Learniing This End Of Things Too.
Thanks For Everyones Help And Good Wishes.
Ride Safe And In His Name.

Congrats on passing and its good to see you sat on the bikes to try for size yes the sporty is top heavy but it handles differently on the road.
Get a test ride on both if you can
Hobbit, you should be the expert at comparing these two particular bikes. ;)

go down to your local HD dealer and try some on for size. You'll find something that fits and then do some test rides.
Please reconsider this line of thinking. Nothing is more embarrassing than dropping a dealer bike. I don't think a dealer will let an unlicensed rider test a bike anyway. jmo

Edit: I had this in mind when I posted.
RIDNG EXPERIENCES LIMITED TO 30 -35 YEARS AGO AS A TEENAGER ON A HONDA 110.

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been on lately but as usual always something to do like taking your first ride even if it is on '82 Honda 200. Somefriends of ours have this bike. She has it to put-put around town on once in awhile and they let people use it to learn to ride and to take their test on.I will take the safety course instead in July. I rode it home from Newton to Effingham. Which if on the highway 33 it is about 25 miles. We were able to ride home through the country all the way until we got to T-Town and Effingham which are only 4-5 miles apart. The throttle is real touchy on it so needless to say the taking off was interesting but I didn't kill it any. We have had it since Monday night but since it won't quit raining I haven't had a chance to get back on it until tonight. Took it around back where we have an open area large enough for me practice turning,starting and stopping. Not enough room for shifting out of 1st but shifting isn't an issue any way. It was more comfortable tonight than it was Monday night. But then I diid't have a bunch of people standing around watching me like I did Monday night. Well enough on that. I just wanted to update you and let you know how things were going. If it stays dry I will be back on it the next couple of nights.
Ride safe and in HIS name.
LADY HERITAGE

Back