free website stats program Mystery of transmission fluid | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mystery of transmission fluid

Two great minds at work and on the same page. I just happen to be bored at the moment with not much else to do.;)

You did not answer my question. How do you know the fluid level will drop to the point it won't register on the dipstick if you are refilling to full every 100 miles?

The engine oil filler is not connected to the trans case, it is connected to the oil pan.Take a look at the attached diagram. The trans fluid is contained in the trans case and the oil is contained in the oil pan; two separate containments. The trans fluid drains from the trans case via a passage cast into the oil pan (red rectangle).

I really do appreciate the amount of your time and patience you're giving up in helping me with this issue!
I now fully understand the arrangement in the oil pan. Clever design !
Just to clarify, on the couple of occasions when I haven't topped up my transmission fluid , it has dropped off the bottom of the dipstick each time.
It was only after this happened that I started checking more frequently. I wasn't in the habit of checking every 100 miles until I realised there was an issue !

I'm thinking breather. When you are adding oil, do you always top it off to the full mark? If so, you could be losing it via the breather. I had that issue on my Road King. I kept seeing oil on the ground, and the trans level was lower then the last time I checked it. After checking everything I could think of, except the breather hose, I finally took a look at it. It was the only place I could be losing it from. Sure enough, after a long ride the end of the breather hose was wet.

Turns out I was actually over filling it. I drained the trans, and refilled with correct amount. I made a witness mark on the stick to indicate the "correct" full level. No issues or problems after that.

Thank you
I'm thinking breather. When you are adding oil, do you always top it off to the full mark? If so, you could be losing it via the breather. I had that issue on my Road King. I kept seeing oil on the ground, and the trans level was lower then the last time I checked it. After checking everything I could think of, except the breather hose, I finally took a look at it. It was the only place I could be losing it from. Sure enough, after a long ride the end of the breather hose was wet.

Turns out I was actually over filling it. I drained the trans, and refilled with correct amount. I made a witness mark on the stick to indicate the "correct" full level. No issues or problems after that.

Thanks SledDog

As stated in other posts if you're losing that much fluid you have a big leak that would be detectable under your bike OR 1 of the other holes is filling up with tranny fluid.

A simple test is add some dye or drain tranny and fill with Red line heavy, go for a long ride, recheck tranny and check the other 2 holes for levels and any seepage.

If no seepage is detected then there is something wrong with your calculations.
BTW, how are you checking the tranny level? on the jiffy stand or standing straight up?

On the jiffy stand Jeff , with the transmission and engine cold.
I leave it overnight and check it the next day.

Two great minds at work and on the same page. I just happen to be bored at the moment with not much else to do.;)

I really do appreciate the time and patience you guys are giving up while helping me here !
Thank you very much !

If there is anyone who has tried to help me with this issue that I haven't thanked personally , please don't think I'm being ungrateful.
I've had so much help , it's overwhelming and I'm trying to keep up with all your replies on a mobile / cell phone !
Thanks again guys !

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do appreciate the time and patience you guys are giving up while helping me here !
Thank you very much !

That's what this forum is all about.

Ok good, just wanted to make sure you were getting a accurate reading by checking it using the proper procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Checking fluid level wrong. Unlike checking the oil level, transmission level should be checked with the bike upright and level and the dipstick "resting" on the threads, IAW, not screwed in. If the bike is on the jiffy stand, the trans fluid travels to the left side of the case and may not touch the dipstick.

The OP should start checking fluid accurately and report back. Still contend that a leak of 3.5 ounces in 100 miles should be leaving a mess somewhere.;)

Checking fluid level wrong. Unlike checking the oil level, transmission level should be checked with the bike upright and level and the dipstick "resting" on the threads, IAW, not screwed in. If the bike is on the jiffy stand, the trans fluid travels to the left side of the case and may not touch the dipstick.

The OP should start checking fluid accurately and report back. Still contend that a leak of 3.5 ounces in 100 miles should be leaving a mess somewhere.;)

Hi Jeff , I was merely following the method as given in the owners manual that came with the bike.
i.e. :-
1. Turn engine off (as if !)
2. Place bike on jiffy stand on level ground.
3. Unscrew and wipe dipstick.
4. Screw back in until dipstick is touching O ring.
5. Remove again and check level.

Even if I wasn't using the correct procedure , the level STILL shouldn't drop !
As I see it , the vent pipe is at the very top of the gearbox , so anything less than severe overfilling shouldn't cause it to exit through the breather!

Checking fluid level wrong. Unlike checking the oil level, transmission level should be checked with the bike upright and level and the dipstick "resting" on the threads, IAW, not screwed in.

I stand corrected, I was thinking oil when I made my post.

Dark Horse,
Check your service manual; the Maintenance section. Trans fluid should be checked as stated in my previous post. Until you start checking properly, your baseline is wrong even if there is a leak.

Agree with your breather comment. Furthermore, if you were losing 3.5 ounces out the vent tube, you would know it.:eek:

Back