My Springer

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by BigJ4832, Jul 5, 2013.

1. BigJ4832

BigJ4832 New Member

Gentleman,
    I am having an issue with popping and total loss of acceleration after my bike is rode for about 10 minutes. I have changed the voltage regulator and coil. It will run really rough and pop then kick back in and out. HELP:dknow

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Did this just start happening? What was the last thing that was done to the bike? How old is the battery and have you checked the positive and neg. cables to make sure they are clean and tight?

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

F.I. or carb.? Are you losing power at the time? Lights and everything still bright?

4. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Cam position sensor, maybe. Does it stop doing it after it cools off?

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Evo engine? Try some air on the nose cone to cool down the pick up assembly, this is a common problem

6. Jack Klarich

Harley Davidson Forums Check this link as well, early softails were notorious for losing the ground at the regulator also

7. BigJ4832

BigJ4832 New Member

Yes the last thing I did was a new coil and yes the lights are still bright when this happens.

Yes it does

Yes this is what it does

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  8. Jack Klarich

If the last thing you did was a new coil and regulator this is where I would start, have you checked the battery voltage? Why did you change the coil and regulator? What kind of coil is it?