free website stats program My 1st Bike, a 49 Pan Head. Good, Bad and Ugly | Harley Davidson Forums

My 1st Bike, a 49 Pan Head. Good, Bad and Ugly

Mr Mach1

I guess today is my first day as a bike owner. The good part is I got a new rego in my name with a shiney New York plate. Got the bike from a friend. The frame is stock with every tab & bracket it left the factory with and the original fork. Engine has a 84ci S&S kit (I think that's the size). The bad part is it isn't currently running as it sat for over five years so I'm sure it needs a carb rebuild. The ugly is it's current configuration. Stock fenders, seat & bars are long gone. Looks kinda Easy Rider to me. My goal is to take it as far back to stock appearance as possible. I've been looking online at repro fenders & seats trying to get a solid visual of where I want to go and what it'll cost. Tomorrow I'll do some cleaning, swap the oils & check the electricals.

I'm a vintage car guy (Fords mostly) but after dozens of auto resto's I can really enjoy the difference's this project holds. It takes a lot less space, is almost as heavy and just as complicated. If I can pull this resto off next I'll try building a bridge to Manhattan out of living tree roots.

I'm hoping this forum is everything it seems to be cause I need the help.

Thanks in advance
Leon

Hey Leon - welcome from Woodstock, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta!

:cheers

Be sure to take a few minutes to read through this and your stay here will be long and pleasant!

HD Talking Rules - Harley Davidson Community

................................................................................................................

Congrats and good luck with your new ride. Pics are very desirable, specially when it comes to old pans.

Back