free website stats program Motorcycle Safe Weight Calculator | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Safe Weight Calculator

PetieJ

There has been a rise in tire defects that are occurring on mostly touring model bikes. They say that this may be partly due to the tires and partly due to the bikes being overloaded. Course everybody tries to cover their butts when it comes to whom is at fault. Many of us ride and never consider how much weight our bikes are carrying or pay any attention to the manufactures recommended weight limits. Below is a link to where you can punch in your numbers for a specific bike and see how you/it fits into the weight category.

Safe Weight Calculator

great post, I was about to inquire about just that and Voila, all my questions answered.
thanks

That is an awesome site and one we should all check out when we're packing for a trip.

Calculating the weight of myself and my passenger left me with more than enough weight for luggage. I was surprised to find that I had more leeway on my Road King than I had on my GL1800 Goldwing.

Thanks again for a great link...it's already bookmarked :)

Glad everyone is finding the link/site useful.

Last week we were riding and a friend and his lady, both fairly good sized, had a rear go down on their bike. Luckily at a slow speed. He did not check the air in the tire before the ride so that could have been a cause. Lost the bead seat.The bike had been sitting through the winter. After hearing about some Dunlop tire problems, I got to looking around and found the site.

Maybe the motorcycle manufacturers should add a chart to their manuals showing what we see on the calculator, and make it stand out to be noticed.
Now what I don't know is, the load range for each tire manufacturer. Would this affect the chart? I guess the motorcycle manufacturers have considered this also.

Like Troy1225 did, comparing bikes will make you amazed at the difference in each.

Ride safe and happy touring.

:small3d026::small3d026:awesome post PetiJ, you could quite possibly save lives with this thank you very much and I hope everyone reads and uses this.

Back