free website stats program Motorcycle/Car Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle/Car Oil

glider.

BOT Machine
The ongoing argument about whether the use of automotive formulated oils will adversely affect the operation of a motorcycles systems can be sumed up as follows.

The wet clutch in a motorcycle works on the principle of friction.

There is threshold amount of friction required to properly transmit the power produced by the engine to the output sprocket. When the amount of friction goes below that threshold the clutch slips.

The engineers do not characteristically design any more than 15 to 20 percent more load-carrying capacity than needed into a clutch system for economic (it costs more for more plates) and/or ergonomic (the clutch lever is too hard to pull) reasons. These clutch systems are designed with a motorcycle graded lubricant as the specification. To reduce the inertial resistance the diameter and surface area of the clutches has been reduced.

The new automotive oils claim reductions in friction of up to 15%.

Do the math.

The above principles apply to EVERY wet clutch system.

Suppliers sell motorcycle-graded oils for this reason. The relatively low production volume of these products causes the price to be higher, sometimes quite a bit higher. However when taken in context of the added expense per mile it isn't really that much more, especially if a $250 clutch repair is avoided.

Do NOT use car oil in your motorcycle.. You will NOT save money by putting automotive oil in your motorcycle.. While many people have done just that for many years, it is crazy to do it today. Research has enabled the oil companies to develop motorcycle oils (Spectro, Belray, Kendall etc) that last 2500 to 3000 miles or more in a motorcycle engine. If you use automotive oil in your motorcycle the polymers in that type of oil will be broken down within 800-900 miles..
Automotive oils are NOT designed for use in air-cooled engines.. If you insist on using an automotive type oil in your motorcycle, you may loosen up debris in the sludge trap that debris may ruin the rod bearing when it starts circulating through the oiling system.

Although, you won't notice the difference right away, Running worn-out oil will lead to earlier deterioration of vital engine components. The money you think you are saving on cheap oil will end up being spent, plus some on engine service and replacement parts.

I could not agree more. And when HD say that if you can not get the correct engineoil for your bike to use heavy duty deisle oil , They also tell you to change the oil as soon as you can get the correct oil.
Some have taken this to mean you can run these oils in the bike all the time.
That is just wrong.
Primary lubes like HD F+ and those made by redline and Spectro are not engine oils, they are designed to be run in the wet clutch and do not have the aditives engine oils have.
I have never under stood why some will spend top dollar for a set pipes or other part then low ball the engine ,primary amd tranmission lubes.
The couple dollar a quart auto or truck oil sitting on the shelf at auto zone is not made for your bike. If it was they would try to market it to you.
And high quialty 100% engine oil,Tranmission gear lube that is 100% true sny made for motorcycles are the two most important things you can do to protect and give you bike it best chance at a long reduced trouable free life.

I have a '97 honda 1100 shadow that I bought in '99 with 2000 miles on it. Since I've owned I've been running Valvoline 10/40 Dura Blend synthetic blend. I now have 75,000 miles on the bike and have never had a problem with the engine or the clutches. the only thing I've had to change is the stator and voltage regulator, and that was in '06 with 64,000 miles on the bike.

Back