free website stats program moisture in gauges | Harley Davidson Forums

moisture in gauges

kennyb62

Has anyone had problems with thier gauges getting moisture in them when you first crank up for about 20 minutes? If so is there a fix for this problem?

Has anyone had problems with thier gauges getting moisture in them when you first crank up for about 20 minutes? If so is there a fix for this problem?

Yes. My fuel gauge fogs up anytime the relative humidity is high and the bike is cold. As soon as I fire up the engine and it starts to warm up, the gauge will fog up. As you say, it take about 20 min or so for the gauge to clear.

Best bet is parking with the sun shining on the dashboard directly. A longer term and more involved procedure is to take the fairing off, open up the lamp socket and use a blow drier on that gauge to drive the moisture out as much as possible. Reinstall the cover on the lamp socket making sure any seal is tight.

Frustrating problem!!

TQ

H.D. eventually sorted the problem out on the '09 model bikes, if i'm correct they are all now nitrogen filled and sealed. A temporary fix is to keep the inside of the gauge and the outside atmospheric conditions the same, this means drilling a small hole somewhere on the gauge. Another short term remedy is to try and get some silica gel into the gauge this will absorb any moisture for a short time until the gel gets saturated. I think I would just put up with the fogging.

If I could get away with it I would take all my gauges, license plate and indicator lights off. Just ruins the look of the bike.

started about a year after purchasing the bike they would dry out after half hour in the sun,now all 4 gauge lens are starting to crack on the inside planning on changing hopefully problem is solved know

Back