free website stats program modification question | Harley Davidson Forums

modification question

lorne

i have a 98 softail custom with a cam and SS carb. i am the third owner i know the second owner well and he put on less than 1000 miles on in the last three years (he went to buy spark plugs for the 98 and went home on a new Rocker) over the past 3 years the bike has been riding on short rides every couple weeks. when i got it i crawled all over it checking for loose parts that might of rattled loose, seeps from fluids corrosion etc. all fluids were replaced before i took it more than a block. my friend does not have any of the paper work on what has been done to the bike. i called the original owner and he will get something together for me when he has time. fortunately he is very busy and has not had the time to put anything together for me yet. all i know is that it has a Andrews cam and S&S carb. my friend that i got it off said that he had to put in smaller injectors because he was having a problem with fouled plugs.

besides just waiting for the information from the original owner does anyone have an idea of how i can find out what all has been done, with out it costing me a ton of money?

it rides and handles great!!!!!!! and i an VERY happy with it. just wish i would of got it 3 years ago so i could of talked to the original owner (he lives in a small town and has no internet and only an answering machine)

Please don't take this the wrong way but why not just ride and enjoy? You will probably find out what mod's have been done, till then do some riding. I don't believe a bike with a carb. has injector's but I've been wrong once or twice before.

Like Animal suggested, ride and enjoy it until you can get the info from prev. owner(s). There's numbers/letters stamped on the cam, but that requires disassembly to read. Also, when cam was changed, it's likely other items may have been upgraded/replaced. And if it was fouling plugs, jets were changed. Injectors are for fuel injection. Sounds like a nice bike, have fun with it.

Animal Breeze
your right i thought about about it last night after i wrote the post and though what the hey. who cares it is the bike i wanted and i love it.
thanks for the replies guys

Animal Breeze
your right i thought about about it last night after i wrote the post and though what the hey. who cares it is the bike i wanted and i love it.
thanks for the replies guys

I'd still try and find out from the former owner what was done to the bike, just so you know for future reference if you have a problem. Just because you know the names of the prev. owners.

Breeze
that is the plan but i don't want to harass the guy too much he runs a bike shop on his own and only returns calls when he is not busy so i might have to wait until winter. so i guess i will just keep on enjoying:D

Breeze
that is the plan but i don't want to harass the guy too much he runs a bike shop on his own and only returns calls when he is not busy so i might have to wait until winter. so i guess i will just keep on enjoying:D

And if it breaks we will help you fix it:s

that is a nice bike bro!!! i have a 99, python pipes, thunderslide in the carb with rejet, ev27 cam and a dyno tune.. runs like a bat out of (EDIT) with no internal mods... i am not a fan of the TC Balanced motor for no other reason than they are just too smooth!!! if i had to buy a new harley it would be a Dyna or a bagger..

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Attachments

• IMG_3372.jpg
    IMG_3372.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
friend has a 96 fat boy went three times around the clock before a whole in the piston 400 hundred dollars later , time in the shed reborn again , new pistons slightly bored . ( PS he rides it like he stole it) so i dont think u have anything to worry about except putting miles on her

Back