free website stats program Mildew ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Mildew ?

Billbo

Ok forum - here I go again. I have a Heritage. The leather saddlebags are mildewing as the bike is out in my shop (no HVAC). Does anyone know what I can do to eliminate this mildewing/molding? Know that I live in Louisiana - and it is mighty HOT here - but thank goodness its HUMID!!

This mildew wipes off very easily and I clean it with Lexol, but how do I prevent it in the first place - shy of airconditioning my shop. Any ideas - vinagar, baby oil, WD40, cake batter, or maybe - I know - I should try PLEDGE!!!! IT works on everything else.

Bill

Wash them reall good, then apply some mink oil, buff in then do it again this time let it soak in over night:s

Buy a cheap 24" box fan and put blowing on the bike. Keeps the spiders away also. I keep 2 running on my bikes 24/7, never had an issue with mildew since. Got to love this good ole 110% humidity down here.:D

That is an interesting piece of info. I did not know moving air slows mildew growth. Good to know.

Wash them reall good, then apply some mink oil, buff in then do it again this time let it soak in over night:s

Thanks Jack - I have the Lexol but will try the mink oil. Is that a liquid or paste?

Buy a cheap 24" box fan and put blowing on the bike. Keeps the spiders away also. I keep 2 running on my bikes 24/7, never had an issue with mildew since. Got to love this good ole 110% humidity down here.:D

Ha! right Bossman! - most other places would say "its raining" -- here, we just say "humm the humidity must be high today" :D:D

thanks for the fan info too - I will certainly give that a try - perhaps it will keep the condensation from forming on the bike as well. My bike will get soaking wet just sitting there when hot-cool-hot cycles along with the humidity.

Thanks to all for the helping information.

Bill

Bill it is a paste made by KIWI just like the shoe polish:s

Back