Mikuni vs S&S

What would you do?

• Keep the S&S super E

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Install a Mikuni 42mm

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a 98 wide glide. The scoot came to me with heads, cam, exhaust and S&S super E with S&S intake/breather.

I have had some recommendations to switch to the Mikuni carb. The reasons given for switching to the Mikuni were ease of tuning, better drivability and more forgiving with future changes on the engine.

I'm new to the world of HD and would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks

I have a mikuni hsr 42 on both of my big twins it works right out of the box it is a well made carb that works well
i have never used an S&S carb so can not comment on which is best to have but if i got another big twin i would fit a mikuni to it as i suffer a lot from carb icing with the stock cv

Brian

When I did the heads/cam/exhaust/ignition/carb on my Dyna 18 years ago, I did a lot of reading-research and talking to people that had each brand. My decision was based on, "if the S&S was so good, why was there so many performance enhancing do-dads available for them"? Virtually no enhancements
available for Mikini. I have been very pleased with the Mikuni.

IMO the S&S is a good but ugly carb, The Mikuni is way more adjustable and has bearings in the slide for better response:s

Thanks for the opinions. Do you guys know anyone interested in buying a Super E with the matching S&S intake and breather??

Need to get some money to buy the Mikuni.

I believe the S&S is the best option on the track, not so much on the road. I'll know for sure after I get them swapped out.

The Mikuni will fit on the stock intake and with use of an adaptor will accept the stock air cleaner back plate or any of the air cleaner kits designed for the stock carb it also uses the stock cables
i got a used mikuni for my 94 dyna and bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb so it cost about half the cost of a new carb and seems to work just as well as a new one

Brian

Thanks for the opinions. Do you guys know anyone interested in buying a Super E with the matching S&S intake and breather??

I believe the S&S is the best option on the track, not so much on the road. I'll know for sure after I get them swapped out.

Don't know I agree with you on that. If you're having problems with the S&S, could be time for a rebuild kit. I'm told after a while, the accelerator pumps wear.

Never ran a Mikuni, but familiar with and like CVs quite a lot. Recently rebuilt and switched to an S&S. Like it a whole lot more than I thought I would and IMO, no more difficult to set up or tune than any other. Just follow the instructions. Newer ones have an adjustable air bleed and if yours doesn't, you can upgrade.

IME, S&S has as good or better throttle response than my CVs, seems "snappier," is smooth in all RPM ranges and in transition, and the bike runs strong. I was ready for problems: difficulty dialing it in, rough transitions, all the stuff you hear - and that is not at all what I've experienced.

Unless there's something going on with your carb, I can't imagine you'll experience any performance increase or benefit. Plus - unless you're running some really big inches, the S&S teardrop a/c set up is really very good. My $.02. YMMV

I just read FXDRYDR's reply, and have to agree. I am very Pro Mikuni, but your original post said you had been "recommended" to switch. If your bike runs well with the S&S, keep it. S&S sold millions, so they are not bad. In my opinion (which I have an abundance of) the difference is not worth the effort to change to Mikuni.

Back