free website stats program Metzeler Recall | Harley Davidson Forums

Metzeler Recall

glider.

BOT Machine
This recall is basically as a safety factor from tires that separated from under inflation causing them to run hotter than normal. The Metzeler tires generally run 10% higher pressures than the comparable Dunlop or other brands. Most of these tires have been recalled with the exception of some stock in the dealers themselves. If you have one of the tires listed use the Metzeler contact number below to find out what should be done.

Contradicting campaign numbers on this issue but it is an older issue with some 53 units involved.

Metzeler Tire Recall - BMW R1100RT-P - R1100RTP Motorcycle Recall

Tire Brand Name / Tire Line / Tire Size: Production Dates: METZELER / 13070R18 JUL 12, 1999 - MAY 25, 2000 METZELER / 16080R16
Information not Available NHTSA
CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00T004000
Summary:
TIRE DESCRIPTION: ME 880 MARATHON FRONT TIRE, SIZE 130/70 R 18 AND ME 880 MARATHON REAR TIRE, SIZE 160/80 R 16.
THE VEHICLE BECOMES UNSTABLE AND WILL BEGIN TO WEAVE AT SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.
Consequence: THE DRIVER COULD LOOSE CONTROL POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY.
Remedy: THE RECALLED TIRES WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE TO THE CONSUMER.

Notes: OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JULY 31, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT METZELER AT 1-610-524-2190. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA)

YouTube - chunked Metzeler

More info posted by "Log Hog Kust'em"
Synopsis:
Pirelli Tire, LLC is recalling certain Metzeler ME880 Marathon motorcycle tires, sizes 13/90 B16 M/C TL 73H and 140/90 B16 M/C TL 77H, manufactured between June 22 and September 13, 2008. These tires were stamped with incorrect load range and inflation pressure information which fails to conform to the labeling requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Motor Vehicles with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) and Motorcycles." The purpose of this standard is to provide safe operational performance levels. Metzeler will notify owners and replace the noncompliant tires free of charge. The recall began on November 18, 2008. Owners may contact Metzeler Consumer Affairs at 1-877-202-4993.

For more information for this particular recall, please go to Recall Results : ODI - Office of Defects Investigation.

Thank you,

Recalls Subscription Team
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

I saw a similar thing on the Dunlop K491 used on a 1980 Yamaha Maxim 650...only the raised sections were in the MIDDLE of the diagonal tread pattern.

This is why I will only ride with tires with circumference rib pattern in the middle of the tread, like the OEM Dunlops that come on most bikes. If there is a diagonal pattern ALWAYS check with your hand to make sure it feels "flat" with no raised sections (don't have the luxury of a centerstand on my Sporty, so this is more or less a weekend activity).

Back