free website stats program metal found in oil filter | Harley Davidson Forums

metal found in oil filter

just wondering if its normal for a motor to still be bedding in after 2500kilometres is ive just changed the oil and filter as its been six months since the first service and cut the filter to find some tiny specs of metal in it would they have changed the filter at the first service or just dumped the oil? thanks

If they are half a decent dealer they would have no doubt changed the filter. If they did not, don't walk away from them.... RUN away. As far as if there should be any small metal shavings in the filter, if you cut the filter and found a few, I would not be concerned. But I will leave that up to more qualified people that will respond. I would think if we cut the filter and inspected, we will always find some small particals as that is what the filter is for. There will always be some wear happening.

The dealer should have changed the filter at 1K mile initial service....makes me wonder if they did. Small metal pieces are normal during initial break-in; however, you shouldn't see it after extended miles because the sharp edges/gear abnormalities should be gone. Keep an eye on it and talk to your dealer/service manager. JMO

A little metal on the magnetic plug if equipped, but no metal in the filter unless the dealer did not change it at the normal 1000 mile service.

A little metal on the magnetic plug if equipped, but no metal in the filter unless the dealer did not change it at the normal 1000 mile service.

Agreed no metal should be there if the dealer changed and he opened up the filter at that point. I read his post as if he had an addition 2500 KM on it after that initial service. At this point, if this is a new ride, a few more found in the filter would not be a concern would it?

just wondering if its normal for a motor to still be bedding in after 2500kilometres is ive just changed the oil and filter as its been six months since the first service and cut the filter to find some tiny specs of metal in it would they have changed the filter at the first service or just dumped the oil? Thanks

if you go to a dealer for service........ Mark your old oil filter so you can tell if changed!!!! Same on air filter...

Back