free website stats program Measuring for fittment of New Head Gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Measuring for fittment of New Head Gaskets

J

Jack Klarich

You should measure the deck height of the new set up.

Put the new pistons and cylinders on with the old base o-rings.
Bring the piston to top dead center.
Put a straight edge over the cylinder directly over the wrist pin.
Then measure the gap with a feeler gauge.

Ideally the gap measured here plus the thickness of the head gasket should equal between .030 and .035.
Try this when doing a top end fit for head gaskets, you may also want to clay the heads to be sure of valve clearances

Really? That is a very small margin. Is there any compression measurement for the head gasket once torqued (which would result ina negative from the measurement) also is there a standard for the base gasket squeeze down? I am just asking because it does not take much squeeze to eat up .030

Any help and info appreciated will be tearing the 80" down to replace blown head gasket (front cylinder rear side) this weekend and definitely want to get it right. Am going to take both front and rear down to the case just to be sure everything is put together correctly.

I have seen several opinions on putting together and am seeking the best and most sucessful setup.

I am leaning toward a base gasket rather than sealant and cometics gaskets...any thoughts? anyone?

All ideas, thoughts, experieinces, etc. welcomed

VZ

If you're not building a big stroker,larger bore & spigots I would go back with OEM gaskets or James gaskets. I have used both on several Evo's & Shovels. No problems. The way I read it though you are mainly just replacing a blown head gasket on 1 cylinder and going to redo the other while you're there, which is a good idea. Keep us posted.
tourbox

Back